Chapter Eight

There were still a few moments to kill before the previews started, and Sal used every one of them to scout out the perfect spot.

"Nothing too dirty, nothing too close, but nothing too far, either..." he fretted.

"Come on, we like sitting in the back row. Right, babe? Easier to make out back there." Brian kissed Sivon's temple cheekily.

Vanessa blushed just thinking about making out in the back row with Sal.

"Well, I guess we could sit in the back..." Sal said.

Vanessa's stomach twisted into a knot, and Sivon giggled.

---

Once they settled in and found their seats, Brian lifted the armrest between him and Sivon.

"Okay, that had better not be the reason you picked this theater," Sal teased.

"Come on, it makes things a lot more comfortable!" Brian nagged.

Sal looked to Vanessa and shrugged. He lifted the armrest and sat down, setting his candy in his lap and his soda in the opposite armrest's cupholder.

Sivon and Brian didn't waste any time- the second the previews started, he pulled her in for a kiss.

Great, Vanessa thought. I get to hear the sound of face-sucking all through the movie, and now if I need her, I can't talk to Siv.

She was shaken from her worries by a whisper.

"Hey, that looks like a good movie, doesn't it?" Sal said softly, pointing to the screen.

"Yeah," she replied without giving it much thought. She couldn't really focus much on whatever was playing.

"Maybe we could go see it when it comes out?" Sal suggested.

"I don't know if I want to go to the movies again with the face-sucking aliens from Mars over here," Vanessa joked.

Sal chuckled. "No, I meant just the two of us."

"O-oh," Vanessa breathed. "Yeah, that would be nice."

It felt like all the air had been knocked out of her.

Sal just smiled.