z e r o

"Shoes off the table, Elizabeth" Mom hits my legs with her palm lightly

"That's not my name" I roll my eyes and do as she says

"It's the name I gave you when you were born, so yes it is your name" she shakes her shoulders

"It's only Liza now" I snap right back. She rolls her eyes letting it go.

"Why aren't you ready for your first day on the new school?" She raises an eyebrow and drops her purse on the counter

"I am ready, Mother" I smirk, knowing she will demand me to change my clothes

"There's no way in hell you're wearing this skirt with this prototype of a shirt" she frowns her brown brows as I stand up smothering my short jeans skirt with my palms.

"Don't you like my shirt?" I rest my hands on my hips to show her my YOU SUCK white top crop "I bought it just thinking of you" a smile leaves my lips as mom just sighs under her breath

"Elizabeth..." her voice is warning me "That's not the type of thing to tell your mother"

"Well, it is when she moves the entire family to Australia without asking if anyone would like it!" I snap, feeling fed up by this morning talk

"Don't turn your back on me!" She yells

"You turned yours years ago, I survived and so will you" I leave the kitchen and march to the living room where my book bag is ready and packet to leave

I rest my impatient small body against the wall waiting for my mom and little sister.

"Elly! Elly" Zoe run down the stairs and waves her arms to get my attention "I'm a butterfly!" She shows me her outfit, she even has wings. I'm impressed.

"Nice wings, Zozo" I rub her cheek and knee so I can look into her green eyes "Why don't you go run into the kitchen calling mom to drive us to school?" I smile and she nods, running her way into the kitchen.

She's the most adorable four years old girl ever. Pretty much the only thing that has been keeping me to run away from home. I was 13 when she was born and since then I wanted to get the hell out of this house, but when I met Zoe I just couldn't leave her behind with mom and dad. I'm just waiting to turn 18 and get a job so I can take care of the two of us.

After a couple of minutes we're all in the minivan. I don't feel nervous about finishing high school in a different school even though I liked a lot my old school in Seattle, but the thing is that I was never caught up on the whole high school drama, I had a handful of friends and that was it.

Mom drops me off first and I sigh before getting out of the car kissing my sister on her perky cheek. Mom says something about picking me up after class but I told her I can find my way back home by myself. She insisted but I closed the door and walked away letting her talk by herself.

The school hallways are the same as ever, lots of misunderstood teenagers feeling crazy and sad because of the hurricane of hormones. I see couples making out, geek boys playing with video games, no matter where you live or what school you go its always the same thing: desperate teenager craving to understand where they belong.

I roll my eyes as I make my way to the administration office where I find out my locker's number. 6463. The secretary asked some girl to give me a tour but I insisted on finding my way alone. I walked to the 6463 locker and find a blonde boy staring it.

"Excuse me?" I use the annoyance in my tone make me sound impatient. The boy turns to face me, he's tall with broad shoulders and a lip ring, he's wearing black ripped skinny jeans with a black vans and a grey shirt. He stares me all the way from my head to the tip of my toes. He just smirks and walks away.

I watch him join a group of two other boys wearing pretty much the same outfit, just changing the colors of the shirts. They stare me and I wonder if I have something on my face. Boys are so stupid, I say to myself as I open my new locker and place some books in it.

I do notice something inside of the locker, there're four words written on the little door

PROPERTY OF LUKE HEMMINGS

Is this a fucking joke? I shake my head as I hear the bell rings I don't have time to deal with this shit now, I close my locker and walk towards the first slow death of the day: Math.

I take the only remaining seat that is located on the fourth chair of the second roll, in front of a boy with pink hair. The teacher, Miss Adams, writes her names on the chalk board and instructs the students to open the book where we will learn about Algebra. Great. The boy behind me giggles softly and I frown my brows, I notice that he was with the lanky boy staring my locker.

Miss Adams pairs the class in duos to complete an exercise.

"Elizabeth Brooks with Michael Clifford" she reads and keeps going

The boy behind me stands up and pushes his chair next to mine

"Hi, I'm Michael" he smiles offering me his hand, I frown my brows but accept it "Elizabeth right?"

"Liza" I correct him

"A'right Liza" he smirks pronouncing my name slowly "So you're the lucky girl who landed on the 6463 locker" he doesn't even look at the paper Miss Adams gave us filled with equations. I keep looking at him showing I'm not following his mind "That's the most desirable locker in the entire school"

"Is that so?" I lick my thin lips

"Oh yeah" he nods "You saw what's written on the door right?"

"Yeah, some guy called Luke Hemmings used to own that locker." I stare my nails "Is he some sort of dead student that haunts the school now?" I smirk thinking how childish that sounded

"You wish" Mike smiles "He's actually very alive" he clears his throat "He wrote that on our first day here on year one, he chose the number based on the correspondent letters. It's not like he owns the locker, he owns the locker's owner" Mike sounds serious, like this is actually a real deal "He will come for you soon"

"Oh really?!" I laugh under my breath just to think that some guys owns me. That's a joke. "Correspondent letters?" I ask him

"Check you phone, see what the numbers 6463 stand for" he takes my phone from the edge of the table and puts it in my hand

I slide to the right and follow with my eyes the numbers. 6 M. 4 I. 6 N. 3 E. M I N E. I frown my brows, what the actual fuck?!

"What is that suppose to mean?" I look at Michael

"That you're his now" he smirks and I frown my brows one more time.

Fuck