Three.

Rakim

"Okay guys, give this paper to your parents." My 3rd hour teacher announced while walking around the room passing out the paper.

"Rakim, can I see you before lunch?" She asked handing me a paper. I looked up at her and grab the paper, folding it up and stuffing it in my jacket pocket. She finished passing out the papers as I slouched down in my seat.

It was December and a week before our Christmas break. This Christmas is going to be different. A lot of shit happen during this year; Yams death, Taya's situation, Lauren's situation, my depression situation and the evil thoughts that constantly come and go. One stressful ass year, I tell you.

The bell rung, signaling that it was now time for third lunch. I waited till all the little underclassmen left and walked up to my teacher desk.

She smiled at me while I pulled a chair up.

"What's poppin'?" I asked putting my elbows on her desk.

"I wanted to talk to you about your grade in my class." She spoked and started typing on her computer.

Oh shit, here we go.

"I already know I gotta D in here." I said before she could say anything.

"When the last time you checked your grades?"

"Um," I trailed off. "I'on know."

"Well, I checked them this morning and you have a B in here." She smiled, wiping off her glasses before putting them on her face.

"I do?" I raised my eyebrows.

"Yes. You remember them two essays I had you do?"

I nod my head and waited on her to continue.

"I read them and they were perfect. No grammar mistakes or anything like that. They bumped your grade up to a low B." She placed a warming smile upon her lips.

"Hm!" I chuckled, feeling proud of myself.

"If you keep that up, you'll have a high A before you graduate."

"I'll try."

"What made you start listening and paying attention in class?" She asked as she crossed her legs.

"Mostly because I'm like the only senior in here and plus my girl and moms been on my a- I mean back, about payin' attention."

"Lauren?"

"Yeah, how you know?"

"I always see y'all together. You have a smart girl on you." She smiled which made me smile some.

"Tell me about it."

"Well that's all I wanted, Mr. Rakim. I'm very proud of you, you know?"

"Preciate it."

"Oh yeah, you're exempt from my exam."

"You lyin'?"

"No sir, Rakim Mayers is exempt from my class." She read from her computer then diverted her eyes back to me.

"Lauren exempted?"

"Of course, also Adam, surprisingly."

"Nah, ain't no way Addie exempt, Ms. M."

"Yeah he is," she chuckled. "He got classes with freshmans and sophomores so he actually been paying attention."

"Can't believe that."

Ms. M is all grades English teacher. You're lucky as hell if you get her cause she is nothing but sweet and will actually help you with your work.