Chapter 22

Skyli's POV

After my graduation, things calmed down a lot and we fell into a comfortable routine. I started working at a daycare center and Grace went along with me. Wyatt was picking up more gigs due to the summer and I was actually going to take a year off school before enrolling in the local community college. Wyatt wanted me to go to a university but I wanted to stay as close as possible.

On July 17th, Gracie was officially one years old. We held a birthday party for her and invited Wyatt's family as well as Davis and Mimi. Some of the kids from the daycare were there too. It was a princess themed birthday party. Gracie was in love with Frozen, so we dressed her up in an Elsa costume. She loved it. We even got a little stuffed Olaf and had snow cones. Grace played in the backyard with her friends as I started to prepare the cake. I felt a pair of arms slip around my waist and smiled as I turned slightly to kiss Wyatt.

"I love you," he said gently. I smiled and pecked him once more.

"I love you too," I smiled. Gracie ran up and attached herself to my leg. Wyatt swooped her up and peppered kisses all over her face, making her giggle. "Let's get back to the birthday party," I said.

~

It was time for Gracie's doctor's appointment. She's been a little warm lately and I was starting to get worried so I had Wyatt make us an appointment. It was September and fall was just about to start. It had officially been a year since Gracie was given to us. She whined softly as Wyatt took her to the car. Davis was already in the driver's seat ready to go. I headed out too but forgot my purse.

"I'll be right back," I yelled to him. I went back inside and grabbed my purse before I went back outside. My smile started to vanish as I saw a woman at my mother's house. Curious, I walked over to the woman. She looked familiar but I couldn't place my finger on where I'd seen her before.

"Excuse me. Can I help you?" I asked. The woman's panicked face turned to one of relief.

"Thank God. Yes, I'm Rose... Grace's mother," she smiled.

Wyatt's POV

After I got Grace all buckled in her seat, I turned to find Skyli. Looking across the yard, I saw her in a heated argument with a woman. I poked my head in the car and kissed Gracie's head.

"Hey Davis, go ahead and take her to see Dr. Marzgo. If she needs anything from us, give me a call," I said. Davis looked towards the shouting.

"What's going on?" Davis asked. I sighed and straightened up.

"I'm about to find out," I said more to myself than to Davis. I closed the door and watched the car pull away before I walked over to where Skyli was arguing with the woman.

"Hey! What's going on?" I asked, standing in between the two of them.

"This child won't tell me where my daughter is," the lady glared at Sky.

"She wants Grace back," Sky snapped angrily. I could tell she was hurt just by the thought of giving Grace up.

"You're Grace's mother?" I asked the woman.

"Not anymore. It's been a year!" Skyli snapped again, pushing towards the woman. I pulled her back gently and sighed.

"Everyone needs to take a breath. We'll take this inside and talk about it like the adults we are," I tried to reason with them. Skyli glared at the woman one last time before she stormed off in the direction of the house. I sighed before I followed after them. Inside, neither of the girls would sit.

"She's not taking Gracie from me," Skyli said heatedly. Rose looked around the house curiously.

"Where is she?" Rose asked. Skyli crossed her arms and ran her fingers through her hair. Something she did often when she was irritated.

"She's been sick. She's at the doctor right now," Skyli answered.

"I want my daughter," Rose said. I kept a hand around Skyli's waist just in case.

"Why now?" I asked. Rose sighed and fiddled with her hands.

"I couldn't support her before and her father wanted nothing to do with her. After I gave Gracie to you, I went and got a job, house, everything. I thought that if I could take care of her on my own, I wouldn't need her father. I begged him to try to get to know his daughter and support her, but I haven't seen him since. I got it together myself, because I wanted to be with my daughter," she explained. Skyli slumped a little. I know she felt defeated and she was trying to hold her resolve.

"It's been a year," Skyli said quietly. When she looked up, I saw that her eyes were wet with unshed tears. "Please don't take my baby from me," she practically whispered.

"I'm sorry for putting you through this. Had I known, I wouldn't have left for so long. I know what it's like to love a child then lose her. I don't want to do this. If there were any other way, I would do it. But I did give birth to Grace, and despite the fact that I haven't been with her for a year, I still love her," Rose explained. Skyli squeezed her eyes shut and turned into my chest. I knew she had giving in and it hurt her. It hurt me too.

"She'll be back in half an hour or so," I said softly. "I'll go... get her stuff ready," I said hesitantly. I didn't want Gracie to leave, but I knew legally, we had no right over her. We couldn't win this one. I wrapped an arm around Sky and brought her with me upstairs. I stopped by own room first and held Skyli's face as I looked at her.

"I'm so sorry," I told her softly as I felt my own eyes water. She shook her head and I knew. This was going to destroy her.