four

Clara's POV

The sun was bright behind my eyes and it took me a moment to force them open. I could hear a few guys talking from not too far away although I couldn't tell if they were in the same room or not.

"That's fine but will she be okay? She should be awake by now!"

I immediately recognized Newt's voice and strained to hear the conversation.

"She should be. I don't know what happened but there was a very big gash on the back of her head. I'd like to think she wasn't put in here without a fight." A voice replied.

"When will she wake up?" Newt asked.

"It's up to her. I don't really know, I'm sorry." The voice replied.

I could hear footsteps moving closer so I opened my eyes towards the sound.

"Hey, glad to see you're awake." Newt said, walking over to me. "Are you feeling okay?" He spoke gently and I could see the kindness in his eyes.

I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. My eyes closed in frustration before I shook my head slightly.

"It's okay, you should be able to speak again soon. Don't worry about it." Newt told me, patting my hand lightly.

I opened my eyes again and met his brown ones. He smiled and his eyes changed to a honey color that nearly matched his hair. I easily returned the smile which caused his smile to widen. "Do you think you can sit up?" He asked, his accent making my heart skip a beat. He stretched his hand out to me and I grabbed it, grateful that he would help me. He pulled me up and I realized the pain had subsided tremendously. I still grasped his hand as I rolled my neck slightly, hearing a few pops. He grinned when the pops made me smile. "Feels better doesn't it?"

I nodded at him and looked down at the ground.

"Do you want to try standing?" He asked, taking a step closer.

I nodded in reply and my grip on his hand tightened as I climbed down from the table.

"There you go, just take it slow." He murmured, one hand gripping mine and his other lay lightly on my back.

I smiled lightly at him finally able to stand on my own. I breathed out a sigh of relief and let go of his hand, looking around the room we were in.

"Do you know your name yet love?"

I felt the heat in my cheeks and shook my head, thankful that his hand still supported me from behind since my body seemed to still be weak from the days I spent unconscious. I didn't know how but I knew it was a few days.

"That's alright, you'll know soon enough." He gently started guiding me towards the door.

The walk was slow and took a lot of effort but I was thankful to be out of that room. I stumbled slightly over the threshold, suddenly lightheaded. Newt quickly gripped my elbow to help me stay standing. "You alright?" He asked, concern showing very clearly in his gaze.

I smiled lightly and nodded, letting him guide me towards the building we were walking to. We crossed the threshold and I felt his grip tighten on me as he helped me sit in a nearby chair. He smiled before rushing into a different room and quickly returning with a glass of water.

I gratefully took it and drank nearly the whole glass. "Thank you." I murmured handing it back to him.

He smiled and went to refill it before sitting beside me. "So, you can speak again then?"

I cleared my throat to try again. "I think so." I blushed as the words came out of my sore throat.

He nodded in encouragement. "Just keep trying, it will be easier the more you speak."