twenty six

"What do we do?" Gally nearly yelled at Alby.

Alby frantically looked around at the other doors leading to the maze, all open. He looked at Newt and a renewed determination settled on his features.

"Okay, listen up!" The crowd quieted and everyone turned their attention to Alby. My hands rested on Chuck's shoulders as we waited for our orders.

"I need the builders to go to council hall and start boarding up the doors, Newt, you go with them. Fry Pan, gather some people and collect food. Minho, take your runners and gather weapons, any weapon you can find, slicers can help you. Winston, you and Clara go round up the animals and lock them in the blood house, Zart, you can help them. Teresa and Chuck, you guys come with me to the medihut. We'll gather some supplies we might need, Clint and Jeff, come with us. You all know what to do! When you're done meet up at the council hall and be quick about it!"

Everyone started quickly moving to their destination. I squeezed Chuck's shoulders and smiled lightly at Newt.

"Be careful." Newt said, pulling me into a quick hug.

"You too!"

We separated and I ran with Winston to the blood house. Zart followed us in and locked the door up behind us.

"Okay, I'll get the chickens and some of the goats. Zart, you want to get the remaining goats and Clara, you can get the smaller animals?" Winston called out, rushing towards the chicken pen. Zart and I nodded and went out to our respective areas.

I pulled out the three rabbits in a cage and ran into the blood house, placing them on the ground beside a few of the chickens and rushing back outside to get more.

When I was opening the second cage I heard the familiar click click whirr of the grievers. I froze and my eyes met Winston's. "They're here. We have to run, now!"

He nodded and we closed the doors between the fenced in area and the blood house. Zart peeked around the side of the blood house and flattened himself against the wall. He sent us a look that silenced us and Winston and I flattened ourselves against the wall beside Zart. We stood there, frozen in fear and praying for a miracle. We hardly breathed while we waited for the monsters to leave, hoping that no one would be harmed tonight. We could hear distant screams from others and it terrified me to think of all of my friends in danger. At least Newt was sent to the council hall, he was most likely the only one who was safe out of our group. My heart clinched at the thought of something happening to Chuck, Thomas, or Minho.

A metal arm appeared from around the corner and grabbed Zart faster than we could react. He screamed out as the beast tried to pull him away while Winston and I dove to grab him. Zart wrapped his hands around Winston's wrists, fear prominent in his eyes. I grasped one of Zart's arms tightly in my own.

"Don't let go!" I screamed, looking around for a way to anchor ourselves down.

Zart screamed out again as the beast made it's way around the corner, it's loud shrieks filling the air. The griever yanked back violently, pulling all three of us with it. We screamed out in fear before the griever shook it's arm sending Winston and I both to the ground. I watched in horror as the griever threw Zart on it's back and he immediately disappeared into it's flesh.

"Zart!" Winston screamed out, jumping to his feet. He scrambled towards the beast before I climbed to my feet and lunged at him.

"No! Winston, he's gone!" I grasped Winston's hand and pulled him behind me as we raced towards council hall.

He stopped us abruptly as a griever came crashing through the shower house and ended up right in front of us. We spun around and ran as fast as we could towards the deadheads to hide. The griever chased us, shrieking in anger as we put some distance between us.