eighteen

Clara's POV

I've never felt my nerve endings as I did now. Every single one felt like it was on fire. Excruciating pain filtered through my body making my skin crawl and my mind numb. I drifted in and out of consciousness well aware of the blond haired boy that never left my side. The boy who jumped up every time my hand moved, the boy who slept in the bed beside me with his arms wrapped tightly around me as if he was trying to squeeze my pain out of me, the boy who I heard cry softly every now and then when I was screaming in pain. The boy with the soft heart. The boy with the wonderful smile and beautiful laugh. The boy that was far too precious to be a part of this world. The boy with the honey colored eyes. Except for now, now they're nearly black. I could hear everyone murmuring around me but the memories took me over when something I wanted to hear was being said.

My hand held the curtain back just enough for me to look outside. Mother was outside pacing back and forth as the big white car pulled up.

"They're here for father." Chase whispered beside me.

I looked up at him, confused, before he continued.

"Clara, father is sick. You know that. They're here to take him away."

My eyes watered briefly before I turned back to the window. Chase grabbed my hand and quickly pulled me to his bedroom, shutting the door seconds before mother walked back inside. We pressed our ears against the door to try to hear what they were saying.

"He's in the advanced stages I'm afraid." A male voice stated. "Won't be long until he's past the gone."

Chase's breath hitched and he pulled me away from the door.

Mother walked in, looking at us suspiciously. "What are you two doing?"

Chase shook his head and smiled softly at mother. "Nothing mother. I was only explaining to Clara why we can't go outside."

"Clara, darling, don't worry yourself about that." She smiled sweetly at me before turning to Chase. "Stop filling her head with horror stories Chase!" She spat the last part before storming out of the room.

"You didn't have to do that." I told him, standing and going back to the door.

"It's okay. She doesn't like me anyway." He mumbled in response as he pressed his ear against the door again."

"...want to tell him goodbye?"

"No. No, it's too much for them. They're only seven so I want them to keep what's left of their innocence until they can't any longer." Mother replied. Her voice quivered like she was crying.

"And they're twins, right?" The same male voice asked.

I looked at Chase and he looked back at me with a concerned expression. Neither of us liked where the conversation was heading.

"Yes, why?"

"Ma'am, our organization is in the beginning stages of trying to develop a cure. We're using children to help us find the cure that can save millions of lives, much like your husband's. We would just test to see if your children are immune to the disease and we can offer them safety and protection they wouldn't get anywhere else."

"You mean you want to take my children from me? The same day you take my husband?!" Mother's voice had risen and she was now screaming at the man.

Chase grabbed my hand as my eyes started to water. I didn't want to go anywhere. I wanted to stay in my house with my mother and brother.

"I understand how you feel Mrs. Jackson but your children could save the world."