twenty two

Thomas' POV

"We need something long enough to let us investigate it. We need rope or something." I told Minho as we stood outside the griever hole by the cliff. The hole was literally floating in midair and there was no safe way to really investigate it. Minho refused to let me climb in and see what happened, said it's too risky but we had to find a way. We had to find out what was on the other end.

Minho shook his head, aggravated. We'd been standing there for nearly an hour discussing our options and the possibilities no longer seemed endless. "We don't have rope Thomas! We can try the ivy if you really want but I don't think it will work. Let's just go back to the glade and look around for something. For anything that can help us."

"That's what Clara's doing." I replied quietly, still focused on the floating square. Clara had begged us to come investigate the griever hole but she still hadn't regained her strength from the changing or the night in the maze quite yet. She insisted after three days she was perfectly fine but we could all see otherwise. She still used Newt to help her get around so there was no way she could come out here.

"Well, it's about time we need to head back so let's talk to Clara and see if she has any ideas." Minho said, turning and leading the way back to the glade.

Things had been rather quiet after the other girl came up although she was still in a coma. Clara had taken to caring for her and mentioned that the girl mumbled in her sleep but nothing was coherent.

We crossed the threshold into the glade and noticed everything appeared normal for the most part. Everyone was doing their usual jobs and even Alby was walking around like he used to.

"Thomas!" I turned to see Chuck running full speed for me and smiled lightly at him.

"What's up Chuck?"

"It's the girl! She's awake!" He nearly yelled with excitement.

I ran to the medihut with Minho right behind me and stopped suddenly when my eyes met hers. Clara was sitting next to her with her back to me and the girl's eyes immediately locked on mine when we walked in. Now, I definitely knew her. I walked up to her somewhat cautiously and Clara glanced at me over her shoulder.

"Tommy, sit." She gestured for me to sit next to her as she turned so she could see the girl and me.

I sat next to her and she smiled up at me. "This is Teresa. Teresa, this is Thomas." Clara said, gesturing between us.

I nodded at the girl and she smiled politely at me but I could tell she still seemed nervous.

"She said your name when she woke up." Clara whispered to me.

My eyes met Teresa's again and she shrugged in response.

"I don't remember. I actually don't remember anything other than my name." Teresa replied with a sad smile, glancing at Clara.

"None of us did. You may get some memories back in time." Clara said, gently placing her hand on Teresa's leg. Teresa smiled lightly at her and nodded, looking down at her crossed legs.

"Hey, we're calling a gathering." Gally announced as he entered the medihut. "Clara, we want you there. Thomas can stay with the girl." He turned and quickly walked out and Minho followed.

Clara glanced at me before standing. "If you need anything I'll have my ears on." She walked out, joining Newt as he appeared in the doorway. I watched her a moment longer before turning back to Teresa.

Teresa was actively trying not to look at me, playing with her shoe laces instead.

"So...you have questions I'm sure?"