thirty

A/N: This is the last chapter! After 181 pages and 74,ooo words we move on to the next one! There won't be an epilogue because book two to this series picks up right where this one leaves off. The next book will be based primarily on The Scorch Trials movie with some elements of the book and I should be able to start writing it soon. Thank you all for sticking with me on this one and hopefully you all like it enough to continue the journey on to book two! See you then friends :)

My eyes remained on the sky as the helicopter floated in the air for what seemed like forever. I kept a death grip on both Newt and Thomas scared that if I let them go I'd lose them. There were light snores in the air around me as everyone had dozed off aside from me and Thomas. I could sense him staring out at the same spot that I was, being carefully watched by our rescuer that sat across from us. After his first couple of comments even the rescuer figured out that we were hopeless.

Every once in a while I could hear Thomas sniffle and I'm sure he could hear me do the same. Neither of us moved for well over an hour and it crossed my mind that we might never be the same after what we saw.

Until the moment I watched Chuck die I was able to find hope within me. Even if it was just a little bit, it was still there. Now all I had was a void space that seemed to be growing in my heart making it feel heavier with each passing second. The tears had stopped but the pain remained.

I remember being tortured at Wicked and that pain was nothing to what I feel now. Even the pain of losing my family didn't compare to what I felt watching Chuck die and not being able to do anything for him. Most likely because I don't remember actually losing my family but...still. I didn't realize someone could hurt this much. I can't imagine what would happen if I lost Newt.

Thomas shifted and lifted his head off my shoulder, rising slowly to meet my eyes. I could see how broken he felt and saw the flash of understanding in his brown eyes before he let out a big sigh. In that one moment an understanding passed between us that would make us inseparable for the remainder of our days and I knew then that no matter what it took I would stay with Thomas. He was my rock, the only one that felt the way I did, and the only one who knew what I was going through. The only one who was as broken as me. In that one moment of clarity I realized my love for Thomas had grown tremendously and much like Newt, I wouldn't be able to live without him. 

His eyes slowly closed and his head went back to my shoulder as a feeling of peace settled over us and my head rested on his once more. 

A/N: I just posted the first chapter in the second book! It's titled Surviving the Scorch, go check it out! :)