seven

A/N: Please read! This chapter begins with a dream that Clara's having just so everyone knows! This chapter is a bit shorter than the last so I might post the next one today as well. Can you say double update?! Hopefully! *Crosses fingers* Also, this chapter contains spoilers for the Death Cure!

The white light above blinded me and I blinked several times trying to get my eyes to adjust to no avail. There were faces hovering over me of people in masks, wearing white lab coats. Their faces were blurry as they looked down at me and they appeared expressionless. I could barely hear their muffled voices above the noise of machines around me but regardless I can't make out their words. I felt something prick my skin but it didn't hurt, my brain didn't register any pain. I was beyond pain at that point. I turned my head and saw the boy lying on the table next to me. He looked familiar in a way but I couldn't see his face, just a head of blond hair that sent chills down my spine as the panic settled in my chest. Newt.

I awoke the next morning to Alby and Newt whispering in the corner of our room. I tried to pretend I was still asleep so they would keep talking...so I could snoop.

"She's not ready for that Alby. She still needs to take it slow. I don't bloody care how fast she is."

"I'm sorry Newt. With Ben sick, we need someone to run with Minho today. He can show her the ropes, stay close to her, she'll never get hurt. They'll be back way before the doors close."

I heard Newt sigh, a desperate sound that made my heart clinch. "I don't want her to go out there."

"I know. Minho said she has amazing talent though, she could be our key to getting out. You know how far they could get with how fast she is."

"The farther they go out the more bloody dangerous it is. You know that."

"Newt, I know how you feel about her but this has to be done. There's no one else that can run like her. She's faster than Minho, you know that's never happened. She needs to be a runner."

"But she doesn't want to be! I thought we still believed in having a choice around this hell hole. And now you're telling me she's a runner, regardless? No. I don't by that. I won't stand for it. Not with her." His voice waivered near the end of the sentence causing my heart to skip a beat. Did he really care about me that much?

"Fine. We'll ask her. I want her to go out today though so she at least knows what she's passing up. Good that?"

There was another sigh before I heard Newt reply. "Fine." Footsteps approached my hammock cautiously and then I felt his warm hand on my shoulder. "Clara, wake up." He shook my shoulder lightly and leaned down closer to me. "Wake up beautiful."

My eyes opened slowly and a big yawn escaped me.

He chuckled lightly and grasped my hand to help me sit up. "When you get ready come down to the kitchen and find me okay?"

I nodded as he retreated and I turned, noticing Alby hovering near his hammock. "You heard us didn't you?"

I stood to face him and nodded once more.

"How do you feel about it?" His face held no expression as he watched me closely.

I shrugged nervously. "I don't necessarily want to go out there but if I can help then I'm happy to." I sighed before glancing at the door. "I just don't want to do anything to hurt him."

Alby's forehead creased before he nodded. "I know. You'll be safe."

"I'm not worried about my safety." I smiled lightly before grabbing my clothes and closing the curtain, ending our conversation.