twenty five

"Get up shank!"

My eyes opened slowly, not wanting to face the day quite yet. Minho was leaning over me, shaking me awake. "Come on, we have to go." He whispered, not wanting to wake up the others.

I groaned and let him pull me from the hammock I shared with Newt. Newt's grasp on me tightened when I started separating from him and I smiled at the action. He was fast asleep and yet he still tried to keep me there with him.

"Clara?"

I turned to see Teresa sitting up in her hammock, which used to be mine, watching Minho and I. She yawned widely and climbed to her feet, rubbing her eyes as she did.

"Where are you going?" Her voice cracked with the early morning fatigue and Minho grinned before turning to me.

"I'll meet you out there. Try to hurry."

I nodded at him and turned to Teresa. "We're going to check out the griever hole. The sooner we go out, the safer it is."

She nodded and took a step closer to me. "Please be careful out there. You and Thomas both."

I smiled at her and nodded. "No worries, we'll be back soon."

She took a moment to think about what I said before nodding. "Okay." She gave me a smile that didn't reach her eyes before collapsing back into her hammock. I watched her a second longer before turning to the still sleeping Newt. I brushed back the hair from his forehead and kissed him lightly. "I'll be back my love." I whispered, before turning and rushing to the bathroom across from us. I changed quickly and dashed downstairs to meet Minho and Thomas who were both waiting for me on our usual table. Thomas gave me a small smile before he shoveled food in his mouth while Minho shoved a plate into my hands.

I scarfed down the food quickly and we were off.

"What were you and Teresa talking about last night?" Thomas asked me as we started running down the first hall into the maze.

"She was asking about the fight Newt and I had. And that led to a conversation about Jake and the grievers."

"Don't tell her too much that she doesn't need to know." Minho yelled over his shoulder as we rounded a corner.

"I know but she's been hearing things and had some questions. She deserves to know how dangerous this place is."

Thomas looked over at me briefly before speaking again. "Like what, what questions?"

"Like why Newt and I fought about me running when I used to be a runner. It's hard to understand anything about the changing when you have no idea what it is, she hasn't been here when someone's gone through it. She asked why Jake attacked me in the first place so I told her what a griever sting can do to someone."

Thomas nodded and we continued to the griever hole in silence, all of us running with our own thoughts.

I thought back to the conversation Teresa and I had after Newt and Alby had fallen asleep last night.

"Hey, Clara, are you still awake?"

I leaned up and met Teresa's gaze. "What's wrong?"

"I have a few questions for you. It might be hard for you to talk about though." Her voice waivered and I knew whatever she wanted to discuss wasn't going to be very pleasant.

"Ask away." My voice remained steady to reassure her that I was a friend and she could ask me whatever she wanted.

"Why did Jake attack you?"