fourteen

Clara's POV

Seven hours after the initial shake everything was nearly back in order. The gladers would sleep during the day to make up for what they lost that night. The runners however would be doing their job, a more pressing matter than ever had been before. Newt and Alby had been training Thomas to help us in the maze, a feat he learned early on wouldn't be easy.

Around three in the morning however Minho demanded all the runners and Thomas get some rest before the long day ahead of us. As soon as I collapsed in my hammock I became a victim of my relentless dreams once again for the first time since my second week here.

My heart was pounding in my chest as I watched the screens with all of my friends on them. Chancellor Paige stood beside me with her hand lightly on my shoulder. "...all serves a purpose Clara. You and all of your friends are very important to the cause. As soon as you realize how valuable this information is the more likely you'll be to cooperate and make things easier on yourself."

Although I missed most of whatever crap she was trying to give me, I gave her a pointed stare before arching my eyebrow in question. "With all due respect Chancellor, I don't see how important the information can be from torturing people. Kids no less. But you tell yourself whatever you need to in order to sleep at night." Sarcasm was heavily present in my tone which only angered her. I'd been more rebellious since they sent Newt in and everyone seemed to have a hard time adjusting since I had been one of their favorites. They hadn't been expecting my sudden change in heart.

She sighed in frustration before returning her attention to the screen, squeezing my shoulder hard to get my attention. "You seem to have no respect for what we're trying to do here. I realize things haven't necessarily been easy for you Clara but we're going to save the world with kids like you."

I rolled my eyes, still watching the screens. Newt and Minho were running in the maze as they did every day and nothing seemed out of the ordinary but there was a nagging fear building in my gut that I knew would stay there until I was with Newt again. I watched as he carefully made his way through the dangerous maze, his blonde hair blowing like crazy with every step he took. I longed so badly to run my hands through it and my heart clinched in despair.

"Clara? Are you even listening to me?"

I turned to Chancellor Paige, snapping out of my thoughts. "What?"

"I am tired of you not listening or obeying any of our rules anymore! Guards!" The chancellor turned to face three guards that suddenly appeared. "Take Ms. Jackson to solitary room number 305 so she can learn a lesson in mannerisms. Let's see how you like it there!"

The guards all moved forward and two of them each grabbed one of my arms and started pulling me towards the room I'd grown to hate. "Why does it take three of you?" I asked the one on my right. He grunted in reply and gripped my arm tighter.

I sighed as they opened the door and quite literally threw me in. My head hit the ground with a hard thud causing my vision to blur temporarily. The door grunted in protest as it was opened and someone stepped in. My head stayed on the floor as I looked up and met Thomas' gaze and smiled softly at him. There were so many times I was thankful that one of my best friends were still here.

"Clara, why do you keep doing things to get tossed in here?" He asked me quietly, staying out of view from the camera in the room.

"Because Tommy being in here is better than being electrocuted."

I heard him sigh as he shuffled nervously from one foot to the next. "Chase has a plan to get you out of here."

I looked up at him sharply causing my head to throb in pain. "Don't do anything that'll come back to you. It's not worth it."