twenty four

We were in the map room working on the code when Minho and Thomas ran in. They were both breathing heavily as they drew up their maps for the day. After a few minutes passed Minho finished and turned to us. "What are you shanks doing?"

Newt placed one of his pages on top of mine and we high fived. "Float and catch? That doesn't make any sense." I mumbled.

Newt scratched his head until Minho cleared his throat. "Hello? Am I not speaking out loud over here?"

"Oh, you are." I winked at Minho before I stood and looked down at the maps. "Newt figured out the code."

Minho's eyes widened and he leaned down, over the maps. A piercing scream split the air and we all turned towards the sound. "What was that shucking noise?" Minho nearly yelled.

"Jake's been stung. He attacked Clara." Newt replied, solemnly.

Minho and Thomas both looked at me.

"I'm fine guys." I replied, walking out of the hut, ready to be away from the boys. I went to the slammer and peered in at Teresa.

"Clara! Are you alright? I was so worried about you! What happened?"

Her blue eyes searched mine and I smiled down at her. "I'm fine, thank you for your help."

"It's okay. I was just...what happened?" She gripped the bars tightly as I sat down.

"Jake got stung by a griever and attacked me." I nearly whispered to her. Her eyes widened and she glanced at the cell next to her.

"What are they going to do with him now?"

I could hear the fear in her voice and knew she'd feel the same way about banishings as I did. "They're going to banish him. Leave him in the maze for the night. He won't survive it." I replied quietly, glancing around me. "I wish I could just stay in there with you. I hate banishings."

She grinned and patted the space beside her. "There's plenty of room in here for you."

"Clara?"

I turned to see Minho standing back quite away shifting uncomfortably. I looked back at Teresa and grabbed her hand. "See you soon, friend. Thank you for the chat." She squeezed my hand and smiled at me as I climbed to my feet and went to Minho.

"What's up?"

"Newt told me what Jake did. I want to hear it from you though. Nothing happened?" He had a serious expression on his face that touched my heart.

"Nothing happened." I smiled lightly at him and wrapped my arms around his waist. "Thank you, Monkey."

"I would have killed him, Pokes. Everyone here would have." He kissed my head lightly and released me, glancing at Teresa over my shoulder. "You just want to sit here with her when it happens?"

It seems everyone knows how I feel about banishings.

"No, she needs to come with us. She needs to see it happen so she can feel safe again. She needs closure." Alby said, walking up behind us. My eyes widened in fear as I looked up at him.

"Please Alby, I don't want to see it."

"I know. But until you do you'll always have that fear that he could try again. I just have a ... feeling that you need this." He smiled softly at me and gestured for me to follow him.

I walked across the glade behind Alby and far enough in front of Minho, who was walking Jake forward, that we couldn't hear any of the obscenities Jake was yelling. Alby continually checked over his shoulder for me to which I always smiled lightly at him in return. "I'm fine Alby."