twelve

A/N: Please forgive any formatting errors because this had to be all done on my phone and it proved to be much more difficult than I thought it would be!
--------------------------------------------------

Thomas' POV

After being in the glade for two days several things became very obvious to me. First of all, they're very secretive with what they tell the "greenies" or the new people.

Alby claims it's so I don't freak out but it's starting to get on my nerves. Chuck is much more open with what he tells me although I think he's scared he'll get in trouble. Usually if I ask him something when Clara's here he'll ask her before telling me anything. I'm not sure if that is completely because he's scared of getting in trouble or if he really just wants to talk to Clara though.

It's easy to see how much he adores her. It was amazing to see how she had captured everyone here, especially Chuck. He talked nonstop about her. She's cute and funny and awesome and a whole lot of words twelve year old boys use.

I could tell immediately how she hates that he's here. She takes the extra effort I haven't seen from anyone else to make sure that Chuck is okay.

Another thing I've noticed while Clara is in the maze is how several others stop what they're doing when they hear the maze moving. At least that's what Chuck says the noise is. I had to wait until last night to confirm with Clara.

And the other thing I know, there's nothing more I want than to be a runner with Clara. Every day when she runs into the maze it's as if my entire body shuts down with the fear that something will happen to her. I hate watching her leave. I can't even imagine how Newt does it. Clearly though, it isn't easy on him either.

When Clara runs through those doors every night Newt is there to pull her into him and they disappear into the map room together with Minho. The worry of the day drains from him and is instantly replaced with the happiness that she brings him.
Both days I've watched him as he walks to the map room with something more in his step than he has throughout the day.

It's strange to know how I feel about Clara with no memories attached to her. She just feels familiar and apparently she feels the same towards me because last night at the fire she called me Tommy. I didn't even remember the nickname until she said it.

"Greenie!"

I'm snapped out of my thoughts when Newt walks into the kitchen and plops down beside me. He's holding a jar of Gally's mix which I remember all too clearly from last night.

"You alright?" Newt asks quietly.

He's searching my face for something I'm sure is the fear that's been in every other greenie's expression but I don't fear anything in this place just yet.

I shrug before meeting his gaze with a small smile. "I'm fine. Just kind of winding down after today."

He patted my shoulder lightly with a sympathetic nod. "I know that feeling. You've had a long day that's for sure. No worries, before you know it you'll be working hard and living just like the rest of us."

I nodded and watched him walk back out of the kitchen and with a sigh, I follow him. Things are much quieter in the glade tonight and now I'm assuming that the fire is a once a month thing for only when the greenies show up.

Everyone is scattered out, doing their own thing. Many have even turned in for the night and the sun is still up. Minho and Clara are sitting by each other at a picnic table with Chuck sitting across from them. I make my way over and plop down beside Chuck with a small nod in Clara and Minho's direction.