nine

A/N: I like this chapter because it serves as a stepping stone of things to come in many different aspects ;) The end of the chapter will be told from Thomas' point of view just so you all can see what he's going through on his end of things but this story still primarily focuses on Clara. This chapter also has a few flashbacks that are italicized as well as one sentence, it will be followed by an explanation, that's italicized but not a memory. Also, for those of you who haven't read the books Thomas and Teresa can speak telepathically to one another so that's where it came from. Only in my story Thomas, Teresa (who won't be joining us just yet as she did in the books/movie), Clara, and Newt can all talk telepathically with one another although Clara and Newt don't know about it yet.

Everyone had already started stacking the wood by the time we approached. Winston made his way over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Clara, I want you to have something." Winston smiled brightly at me before handing me his flaming torch. "You're going to help us light it up tonight."

I smiled in return and other gladers started cheering. Newt grabbed his own torch and we waited for Alby's command.

"Today has been a hard day for us. For all of us. Tonight. Tonight we celebrate the life that Ben had and tonight we celebrate the lives that remain!" Alby shouted to the crowd and everyone got to their feet, cheering. "Torches ready!"

I smiled at Newt and held it high with Winston hovering over me.

"Now!"

We tossed the torches into the circle and the fire blazed up. We cheered once more feeling the peace of mind we hadn't had today. Gally made his way through the crowd handing out jars of his amber mix, winking at me as he handed me mine. Newt grabbed one next and clanked it against mine. "To us!"

I smiled brightly at him and nodded, "To us!" I replied, taking a big gulp of the drink. I cringed the same moment Newt did and Gally nodded with a triumphant grin. "Yeah! Take it down like a champ!" He continued through the crowd trying to get everyone hyped up.

Alby carried out a small box that everyone else seemed to recognize. My heart stopped when he turned it on and music drifted through the air. The last time I heard music...

My mom was screaming from the other room. I locked her in to protect her from herself, she had literally started pulling out her hair when I turned the music on. She was sick. That's all the doctors kept saying... A song by the Beatles was the last thing I remember my mom smiling about.

I shook my head slightly and took another big gulp trying to keep that memory away. Newt lightly rested his hand on my back and leaned in close to me. "Let's dance."

I smiled up at him and nodded, letting him lead me away from the crowd. My arms went around his neck and his hands went to my hips, pulling me close. We swayed to the music together, bringing up another memory.

My eyes met his honey colored ones and he eagerly grabbed my hand. "Let's dance Clara." His voice was still high because he hadn't gone through puberty yet, we were only thirteen. My arms wrapped around his neck and his hands went to my hips as we swayed to the music.

I gasped and looked up at him startled that he was watching me the same way. "I saw it too." He mumbled, grazing my cheek with his thumb.

I smiled lightly before his lips were on mine. We had stopped dancing and it wasn't until we heard someone coming that we remembered we were out in the open with everyone else. We separated and Newt turned, looking at Alby.

"I'm going to start telling people you two knew each other before because otherwise this..." He grinned as he pointed to us. "Will be hard to explain."