nineteen

A/N: Please pay attention to what is italicized and what isn't in this one. This one is mostly memories Clara has during the changing so it might get confusing if you don't notice the italics, she does drift in and out!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I floated in the darkness of my subconscious smiling to myself. I was right, Newt and I were close before being sent to the maze. I listened to my surroundings trying to figure out if anyone else was in the room with us as Newt still held my hand. I wasn't nearly as cold as I had been nor was the pain as bad.

Chase grasped my hand tightly as we raced down the white halls of the Wicked building we'd been in for eight years. Alarms blared above us and Jansen's voice sounded over the intercom.

"Subjects A3 and A4 must be brought to lab 34 immediately for testing. I repeat, under whatever force necessary bring subjects A3 and A4 to lab 34 immediately! You guys really shouldn't have tried to run." His voice hissed as the intercom crackled off.

Chase sent a frantic look my way before we rounded the corner. We stopped suddenly when three guards appeared with launchers. I gasped and shrank back against Chase and he started pulling us back the way we came.

"It's useless to run now. Make one wrong move and we will shoot." One of the guards said, taking a step closer to us.

My heart pounded in my chest and the fear of our situation nearly paralyzed me. The panic started building in me, causing me to become lightheaded quickly.

"Clara?" Chase whispered, his grasp tightening on me.

My vision blurred and I realized I was having a panic attack right before I collapsed into him.

"Ah, there she is." Jansen made his way over to me and pulled me up, pushing Chase away from me. He stuck a needle in my arm and my world faded to black.

Chills shot through my body and I could feel my limbs twitching. "Jeff!"

Newt's voice held a bit of panic as he stood and yelled for the medjack . Searing pain splintered through my head and I screamed out as another voice, a much more vicious voice tore through my mind.

We're not done with you yet Clara. You may be safe in the maze for now but we'll get you back.

I whimpered in pain and fear as Jansen's voice echoed through my mind, throwing me into another memory.

"No! Tommy, I can't go like this!" I pleaded with him, my best friend, as we ran towards the box. Chase was supposed to be going to the maze today but him and Thomas had created a plan to get me there instead as a way to keep me safe from Jansen.

"We don't have a choice Clara!" He whispered harshly to me, yanking me down the hall behind him. We stopped in front of a door and he quickly pushed me into the room. Chase ran forward and grabbed my hand, pulling me away from Thomas.

"I'll see you soon, be careful." Thomas said, hugging me tightly before turning and rushing back to his work station.

Chase smiled at me and pulled me to the box. "Okay, once you're in you'll be fine. Newt will be there and so will Minho and the others so you'll finally be safe."

I nodded, tears welling in my eyes as I said goodbye to my twin brother. "I'll see you soon right?"

He nodded but I could tell he was lying. "As soon as you guys get out I'll be here, waiting for you."