[5] Mr. Player Just Made It Worse(Edited)

Chapter Five

Mr. Player Just Made It Worse

ALEX

I take rapid yoga fire breaths to calm myself down, but they have no soothing effect on me. I’m not even sure what has got me so worked up. I’m sitting in my car right now. My head slightly hurts. I haven’t drunk a lot tonight, but the little bit that I have, has proven enough to make me uncomfortable. My hands are shaking a bit, and hot tears are welling in my eyes, about to run down my face.

Seriously, why am I on the verge of crying? What is wrong with me?!

I twist the car keys, and the engine comes to life. I immediately start driving. By the time I’m half-way home, my car’s speed is double the speed limit. Plus I’m not even driving properly, my senses are not working. I’m half-drunk, and driving a car in this state is not an easy job. Luckily though, the roads are void of any vehicles, except the occasional car or two. And there are also no cops in sight. So the chance of me landing up with a speeding ticket is next to zero.

It takes me another tend minutes before I reach my house. I park my car in the garage and get out of the car. I notice the house is dark and silent. I’m sure mom isn’t back yet. That is a relief because I look like a wreck at the moment. Plus my mom, always being the enthusiastic person that she is, would probably bombard me with questions about the party, not realizing I am in no mood to talk. I unlock the door from my spare key and make way to my room and immediately enter the bathroom. I stare at myself in the wall-sized mirror and gasp. I look like a wreck!

No wonder Dylan ditched me.

I quickly strip out of my clothes and take a long, warm shower. The hot water and the steam soothe my senses and I stop thinking. I feel my tensions and worries drain away like the hot water, leaving me fresh and renewed. When I come out twenty minutes later, I look and feel better. I start drying my hair, I'd just shampooed it. I am feeling better but kind of dizzy. I just barely make it to my bed and slump down on it, before sleep consumes me.

****

The morning light is coming in through the open window straight onto my eyes, but that isn't the thing that wakes me up, my phone does. It’s vibrating like crazy. I quickly check the caller id and frown when I see its Tia. Why is she calling me so damn early in the morning? Suddenly it hits me like a lightning bolt striking the ground.

Oh damn! I totally forgot about her! How did she return back home last night, seeing that she had come to the party in my car?

"Hey Tia, I’m so sorry! I completely forgot about you last night. I totally left you at the party without a ride back home. Are you okay?”

" I am kind of pissed that you left without informing or anything but Alex! I was so worried for you! I mean where the hell were you last night? I and Dylan were searching the whole damn place for you!" she says, sounding slightly frustrated.

"You were? Wait, you and Dylan?" I can't believe my ears.

"Uh...yeah. We at last went to the parking lot and saw your car wasn't there so we assumed you left. Dylan seemed really worried. Besides, you weren't even picking your phone!"

"Oh, I was just really tired, I went straight to bed. How did you reach back home? And what do you mean by Dylan being worried?" Seriously why would Dylan be worried about my whereabouts?

"Well, Dylan's really cute friend Matt gave me a ride back home. He's really sweet and guess what? We made out in his car's backseat!" she says hysterically, before squealing. I take the phone away from my ears so that I cannot hear her shrill squeals. Sometimes my friend can be really melodramatic.

"You made-out in some random stranger’s back-seat?! And not just a stranger, but Matthew Davidson!? Do you have any idea how many girls have done the same thing with him on that very seat?”

"God, I don’t care, okay? All that matters is that it was fun, really fun. I enjoyed myself so much. All I can think about are his kisses.”

"Isn't it a bit too fast though? You don't even know him. Plus he’s got this reputation, he’s exactly like Dylan—a player." I reply.

"Yeah, but I don't care. Besides it was hot." So that’s your typical boy-crazy Tia. All she can think about is the kiss being hot. Seriously, sometimes she can be so stupid, and so naïve! "Anyways why did you leave?" she asks suddenly.

"Uh...It’s a long story" I reply uncomfortably. Seems I can't really avoid telling her about what happened after all. I mean, she’s my best friend. Plus she possesses this uncanny ability of detecting my not telling her things.. The next few minutes are spent in giving her each and every detail of what happened, how I saw Dylan kiss that girl, and how I almost cried. I felt kind of embarrassed while telling her how I had reacted to it.

She didn't seem surprised at all. "Hey, is it alright for me to cry?" I ask, hesitant. “I mean I feel so stupid for crying like that”

"Um...he didn’t cheat on you Alex. You guys aren't even together. Heck, you don’t even know him. But I guess that kiss had meant something to you, even if the person giving it to you doesn’t. It was important for you. And then seeing him kiss this other girl obviously annoyed you and made you feel unimportant. Besides, ditching you for that girl was definitely not a nice thing to do. Crying is a bit too much, but then you’ve always been very emotional” she says thoughtfully.

Did I mention Tia is really expert in giving all kinds of advices?

I am really surprised when she gives me the analysis of this situation. She is so right! "Yeah. Whatever, he’s a jerk.” I reply back, trying to sound calm and casual.

"Uh-oh!" She exclaims all of a sudden.

"What now?" I ask, worried. Somehow I’m getting a bad feeling about this. Like she’s going to tell me something really bad.

“Uh...I accidently gave your phone no. and address to Dylan and he generously accepted to give you a ride to school every day." Tia says in a rush.

"WHAT!?" I start shouting. "HOW COULD YOU?!"

"Uh...I'm sorry...you know I am..." she mumbles sheepishly.

“Why the hell would I need a ride? You know I have a car!”

“Oh c’mon, the school’s hottest guy asked for your number and address and wanted to drop you home. I didn’t think twice and did what I had to!”

I sigh. This isn't going to turn out good. Not one bit. "Okay, I'll deal with this later." I say. “Bye!” I hang up. I am furious. How could she do this to me? Tia is crazy. She’s always been obsessed with boys, but that does not mean I’m like that too. She knows how it is, how I feel about boys, how I avoid anything romantic with them. And what does she do even after knowing all this? She goes ahead and gives my number to that jerk!

I suddenly hear a chime and notice I have got a new message. I quickly tap the envelope shaped icon on my phone’s screen and read the message I have received.

Hey alex, comin 2 pick u in half an hr- dylan xxx

My eyes widen. My breath stops for a fraction of a second, and the phone slips right out of my hands. I can hear my heart beating erratically.

This can’t get any worse, can it?