[6] Mr. Player Meets My Mom(Edited)

Chapter 6

Mr. Player Meets My Mom

ALEX 

I glance at my reflection in the mirror one last time, just to be safe. I just have to know if I look okay. In fact, not just okay, but good. I’m not sure though why I’m trying so hard. I’ve been in front of the mirror for the past hour. Now don’t get me wrong. I’m not one of those girls who don’t care about her appearance. I’m sorry, but I’m not. But that doesn’t mean I’m one of those girls who obsesses about it either. Appearance is important to me, but it’s not the most important thing.

I analyze my choice of outfit—black skin-fit jeans, a cute white tank-top and a black leather jacket topped with some black boots. My hair is hanging down my shoulders today and I’ve just applied a bit of kohl and lip-gloss. But do I look good? Will this do?

Oh god, it won't do!

Whatever, who cares? It's not as if anyone would notice me anyway. Sometimes I feel invisible, like no one sees me, like no one knows I even exist. Even the nerds get noticed. They are teased, and envied for their intelligence. The popular kids are obviously the center of attention. I’m the average kid; the one lying smack dab in the middle of these two. I’m not utterly boring, but then there’s nothing special about me either. I’m just average.

But it’s not that I couldn’t have made it to the top. I’d had many chances to get noticed. But I didn’t grab them. All I saw were girls around me grabbing these chances as quickly as they came, doing things they were sure to regret at some point in their lives. They all gave in to the thirst to be noticed, to be popular, to be admired, forgetting their dignity in the process. At least I can proudly say that I never did something that would make me lose my dignity.

You're wrong! Remember what happened last night?

The scenes from the party last night flash through my mind. The party, the truth and dare game, the kiss and…Dylan.

Oh man, what the hell was I thinking last night? I shouldn’t have given in so easily, I shouldn’t have let his harsh, mocking words get to me. I shouldn’t have let them effect to me to the point that I gave up my very first kiss to him. And what’s more? I don’t even know him. He was just this random guy who goes to my school and I let him kiss me. Wait, cut that, I didn’t let him kiss me—I kissed him.

And with that kiss has gone all the self-respect and dignity I’d preserved throughout my stay in High school. I used to be proud that I was one of the few girls in this school who hadn’t been involved in any kind of drama or with the wrong people. You might be thinking that I’ve over reacting here a bit. It’s just a kiss, right? Why am I worried?

 Wrong. It’s not just a kiss. I bet by the end of today, every single person in the school would be talking about it. It shouldn’t be a big deal; players kiss all the time right? But our high school, like many others, loves to gossip. They just love to discuss other people’s lives. But don’t we all, at some point of time? Discussing about other people’s dramas and problems help us forget our own, even for a little while. 

I grab my school bag, stuff my cell phone inside it and head downstairs. Mr. Player will be arriving soon, to give me a ride to school. Hell, I don’t need a ride to school. I have my own car! But try telling that to my best friend Tia who considers refusing school rides from hot guys stupid, even though the person already has a car.

"Morning mum!" I greet my mother as soon as I arrive in the kitchen.

"Morning dear! All ready to school?" She says, smiling. I look at her and wonder where did all her beauty genes go? Because I don't think I got any of it. My mom's really pretty. She has beautiful mid-length dark brown hair and big hazel eyes. She's on the short side and has a lean figure. I guess people can say we look alike, but I don't think we do. While she's really pretty, I'm really plain and ordinary looking in comparison.