Training

You sigh. "Jay, this is a bad idea. I'm going to make a fool of myself."

"No, you aren't y/n," Jay says. "Remember that time you did some training with us? You're a natural at this stuff!"

"Oh, yeah. Right. Remember when I ran into your fist? Remember when I hit myself with the punching bag?"

"That's no big deal, y/n," Jay replies, strapping you into some light kendo armor. "Remember when you gave the punching bag the what-for? And who knows, maybe today you'll get to learn Spinjitzu!"

You roll your eyes. "Don't get your hopes up. It took you how long again?

Jay shrugs. "A while..."

"Exactly. And this is just my first day. What is it that Sensei Wu always tells you?"

"Y/n, let's not get into this."

"Patience," you finish with a grin on your face. "Something you clearly have a lot to learn about."

"Let's just get on with it," Jay says, rolling his eyes.

"All right," you tell him. "But I'm only doing this to make you happy."

Jay sends you on a few runs through the training course, but each time is worse than the last. Kai and Lloyd are standing in the corner and laughing, which isn't helping you much either.

Finally, you're done. "Jay, I can't do this anymore," you say, taking off the armor and dropping it on the floor. "We really need to do something else."

"But y/n—" Jay starts. You ignore him and walk out the door. You're storming down the hall, on the verge of crying from frustration and embarrassment, when you bump into someone and fall over.

"Are you okay, y/n?" Cole asks, leaning over to help you up.

"Yeah...well...no," you admit.

"Want to talk about it?"

"Maybe," you mumble.

"Come on," Cole says. "Let's go sit down and you can tell me what's wrong."

Cole takes you onto the back porch and brings out cookies and milk. You eye the cookies suspiciously until he demonstrates that they're safe.

"So, what's getting to you?" Cole asks. "Tell me about it."

"Well..." you take a bite of cookie and try to sort through your emotions. "I guess...I've just had a rough day. I mean, why do I need to do all this ninja training to control my elemental power? It doesn't make any sense! And it was a thousand times worse than usual because I keep messing up and Kai and Lloyd were laughing at me the whole time."

Cole shrugs. "Yeah, those two don't really understand how to be sensitive. And you don't really like being watched, do you?"

"No," you admit. "I don't."

"I guess the best thing for me to say is don't worry too much about looking bad," Cole says. "We all sucked at this in the beginning, especially me. It takes a while to get good at being a ninja."

"Thanks," you say.

Cole grins at you. "Hey, what are friends for?"