Digging Your Way Out {Sort Of}

You and Nya are still laughing and talking when you feel something and sit upright.

"What is it?" Nya asks.

"Shh!" you whisper. "Do you feel that? There's a breeze coming in." You follow the air current with your hand until it rests against a crack between two boulders. "Here."

You hear a rustle of movement from the other side of the space, and a moment later, Nya's hand slides up next to yours. "That's it?"

"Yep."

"Do you think you could use your powers to blow some of these rocks down the tunnel so we can escape?"

You push against one of the rocks and feel it shift slightly. A trickle of dirt and dust lands on your head. You sneeze and move to the side. "Yeah, I think I could do it, but...well, my powers aren't very reliable. I might end up just dropping the roof on our heads."

Nya hesitates for a second. "Well, that's better than being stuck here until the Serpentine capture us or we run out of food. Let me just grab the backpacks." You hear her moving around. "Okay, do it."

You brace yourself with one hand on the rock that moved and the other over the crack where the air current is coming in. You're not sure why there's suddenly a way out, but it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that you and Nya are going to get out of here.

The tiny draft coming through the crack in the rocks begins to blow faster and faster until it's whipping your hair around and stinging your eyes. More dirt is falling from the ceiling, but you ignore it. The air keeps coming through the rocks, literally forcing them apart until Nya's flashlight shows a gap between them and shines on the empty passage beyond.

"How are we going to get through there?" Nya yells over the wind.

"I haven't thought of that part yet!" you yell back. The gap between the rocks widens as the wind blows even faster. It's wide enough for you and Nya to crawl through now—if the wind didn't blow you right back into your cramped little space.

That's when it comes to you.

"Get behind me!" you yell to Nya.

"What? Why?" Nya yells back.

"Just trust me!" you yell.

You wait until Nya is in position, then reverse the wind, literally blowing the two of you through the gap. The force of the air carries you a dozen feet down the passage, far enough to be free of the cloud of dust that follows you. You hear several loud thuds as your safe spot collapses.

Nya hops to her feet and examines a scrape on her shoulder. "Wow. I knew you were powerful, but I had no idea you were that powerful!"

You look at the now-collapsed rocks behind you. "Neither did I." You can feel several cuts, scrapes, and bruises from skidding along the ground, but it's a small price to pay for your freedom. "Now let's go save Jay. Those Serpentine won't know what hit them."