Fun and Games

"Jay, do you have any threes?"

Jay groans and tosses two threes across the table. "Aw, man! I was so going to ask you for those!"

You laugh and put the threes into your hand. "Word of advice, Jay? Never play poker. You're a terrible liar."

Jay makes a face at you. "I am not!"

"Yes, you are," you laugh. "Cole, do you have any jacks?"

"Go fish."

You were all bored, so Kai got the idea of getting everyone to play Go Fish together. So far, Zane is winning and Jay is losing by a landslide. You haven't put down any sets of cards yet, but you're doing pretty well, in your opinion.

You draw from the pile in the center of the table while Cole takes his turn, getting a six from Lloyd. Kai goes next.

"Zane, do you have a four?"

"No."

Jay shakes his head. "You're supposed to say go fish, Zane."

Zane gives him a confused look. "Why? The nearest fishing hole is seventeen-point-eight miles away, and besides, you do not have the proper gear."

Everyone else facepalms. "It's part of the game, Zane," Kai sighs. "When someone asks you for a card you don't have, you say 'go fish.'"

Then it's Zane's turn. Everyone braces themselves—Zane has been on a roll since the game started.

"Y/n, may I have your threes?"

You groan and toss your threes to Zane, who piles them next to the four stacks of cards already in front of him. "Who's idea was it to let the guy with the best poker face play, anyway?" you ask.

"Yours!" everyone else choruses.

"That was a rhetorical question!" you protest.

Zane chuckles quietly to himself. "Jay, do you have any tens?"

"Everyone's picking on meeeeee!" Jay complains, tossing a ten at Zane. "Why do you all hate me?"

"We don't hate you," Lloyd snickers. "You're just an easy target."

When Zane finally finishes his turn, it's obvious that he's going to win—he already has seven piles of cards in front of him, mostly at Lloyd and Jay's expense. Everyone but Jay somehow manages to lay down a pile of cards on the final round before Zane cleans you all out.

"Loser picks up!" Cole announces, scooting his chair back and standing up.

Jay sighs and gathers the cards up. Then a sneaky grin appears on his face as an idea occurs to him. "Hey, Zane, wanna play another game?"

Zane shrugs. "All right. What is it called?"

"Jay, don't you dare—" Kai begins. You clamp a hand over his mouth.

"Fifty-two pickup." Jay throws the deck into the air, sending cards flying all over the room. "Have fun!"