Chapter Twenty One

[Ramin]

After Sierra and Ramin had no more tears to shed, Ramin reluctantly pulled away from her.

She looked so sad.  Ramin had never seen her look so pitiful, and it felt wrong to see her in such a state.

"Let's get you home." He whispered, helping Sierra to her feet.

Sierra grabbed her purse and stumbled to the door.  Ramin caught her just before she fell.

"Are you alright, Sie?" He asked worriedly.  Sierra nodded her head yes, but Ramin could tell otherwise.  He only hesitated for a moment before scooping her up in his arms and carrying her out the door.

Night was falling, and the streetlights were the only source of light in the otherwise pitch-black night.  Ramin carried Sierra to his car and settled her in the passenger seat before hurrying around to the driver's side and putting the keys in the ignition.

The car shuttered to life and Ramin guided it to the road.  They were silent for the entire twelve minute car ride, each lost in their own thoughts.

Once they reached Sierra's flat, Ramin hurried to help her out of he car.  When it was clear Sierra couldn't walk on her own, Ramin picked her up again and opened the door. 

She told him where the spare key was, and he flicked on the lights when they were inside.  He realized he didn't know where Sierra's room was, but he felt awkward asking.

Sierra must've known what he was thinking, because she just looked at him.  "It's down the hall and on the right." She said.

Ramin carefully laid Sierra down on her bed, pulling the blankets up around her.  She closed her eyes peacefully as Ramin left to get another washcloth for her burning forehead.  He grabbed some Tylenol from the bathroom in the hall and a water glass. 

Sierra slowly opened her eyes when he reentered her room and he gave her the Tylenol and water glass.  She took the medicine while he placed the cloth on her forehead. 

"Thank you, Ramin." She whispered faintly. 

"It's the least I could do," he replied.  Sierra closed her eyes and he leaned down to kiss her cheek.  He began to walk out of the room when he heard a small voice.

"Will you stay with me?" Sierra asked.  He turned to face her.  She looked pleadingly at him and he found he couldn't deny her.

So he shrugged his jacket off and hesitantly pulled back the blankets so he could get underneath them.  Sierra immediately curled up at his side, resting her head on his chest.

Contentedly, he closed his eyes and slowly twirled a piece of Sierra's hair between his fingers.  She sighed before he felt her breathing change and he guessed she had fallen asleep.

Carefully, he leaned down and kissed her head, cautiously trying not to wake her up. 

"Don't be afraid." He whispered before leaning back and closing his eyes.

"Not with you here," he heard her whisper. 

That was the last thing he heard before he fell asleep.