Chapter 18: I Promise, I won't

3 weeks after the party.

It's a Wednesday and I'm at home sick with the stomach flu. As I'm laying in bed resting I receive a call from my cousin Whitney.

"Whit I'll probably be fine by tomorrow. Besides I haven't puked since this morning." I say while Whitney complains about her cheer squad problems.

"I know, I know. You're just missing so much cheer practice. We have a lot to go over before the final game of the season and I'm freaking the hell out. I will die if you aren't better soon."

"I'm sure everything will work out just fine, just calm down." I say reassuring her. "I'll talk to you when you get home."

"Alright, bye."

"Bye." Hanging up my cell phone, I take a deep breath. Afterward I crawl out of bed and slip into some new clothes. When I finish buttoning my black skinny jeans, I pull on a black pea-coat and grab my camera and purse.

Exiting our duplex I head straight for the nearest Walgreens to make a purchase. The streets and sidewalks are covered in mushed half melted snow. After walking the first block I can already feel water seeping through my off-brand uggs. Although it doesn't bother me much because I can already see the store from where I am.

Reaching the store I claim my items and rush out as soon as I'm finished. Afterwards I decide to go to Central Park to take some pictures with my Nikon.

After 20 minutes of taking pictures I see someone familiar and after looking a little closer, I realize exactly what I'm seeing.

"Marcus!?!" I yell.

He quickly makes his way over to me.

"Aren't you supposed to be at home, sick?" He looks me up and down curiously.

"I was feeling better so I decided to go for a walk and to take some new pictures." I say trying to sound calm.

"Right, but then you also had time to go shopping." He smirks and lunges for my bag. "So what do you have?"

Rather than grabbing the bag, he knocks the contents onto the snow covered ground. Once he realizes whats fallen out his eyes grow wide.

"Oh..." Is all he can seem to get out of his stupid mouth.

Feeling myself start to cry I quickly gather the pregnancy tests and place them in my purse. Standing up I look at Marcus seriously through teary eyes.

"Marcus, please! You can't tell anyone, please!" I plead.

"I-I Promise. I won't say anything."

A few seconds of silence pass, and we just stare at each other not knowing what to do next.

"So, are you okay?" He finally manages to say.

"I don't know. I mean I'm not even sure if I actually am.... well you know." I look down at my hands.

"Well then, I guess we should find out." Marcus says as he stands up and offers me a hand.

I simply ignore him and continue to look at my hands until he talks again.

"It's better to find out sooner that later." I look up at him finally and nod. "Wait, before we go.... why are you helping me? I know we're family, but I always thought you hated me or something."

"No...I guess it was just sibling rivalry or something. I do care you know. I would just prefer not to."

I roll my eyes at him and we smile at each other.

"Okay then, let's do this thing."