Chapter 19: Say your goodbyes, Sweetie

Sorry about the random switching of the P.O.V. 😂 And of course the lack of updates, but expect something right after Halloween, 2015 🎃

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lucy shifted in her sleep, with a worried expression crossing her pale unaware face from time to time. It seemed she was having the nightmare, or perhaps a recurring dream, that would break all her heart-strings.

"I need to leave." She whispered in a panicked tone. Then after she waited for the calm response from the man.

"When? I can have an apartment set up for you if you feel the need for one as soon as possible. I can also have you enrolled in Gotham High before the weeks end." His voices was deep and rough, but it was easy the uncover that he was a kind man.

"I think the apartment's a great idea. I'll probably need two bedrooms, but as far as everything else goes, I should be fine. Thank you so much. I'm so glad someone understands what I'm going through."Now her voice had grown from worried and uncertain to a calm with clear determination.

"Don't worry. As long as you're in my city, nothing bad can happen to you." He came across as heroic and reliable, but she could tell he wasn't being fully truthful, because both of them knew deep down, that no one could promise that.

"I'm leaving New York tomorrow and I'll most likely arrive mid afternoon. I know you're already doing so much for me... But it would really help me stay sane if you could be the one to meet me when I get to Gotham."

"Of course, I'm not going to leave you alone after all that has happened. I'll send you the dates you'll need to come and talk to the schools principals."

"Okay, By-."

"Wait, one more thing I think you're going to need. Good luck, kid."

"Thanks... I think I'll need all the luck I can get." Then without a second thought she hung up the phone and packed her bags.

"mmmmh..." A groggy, newly awakened Lucy Quinzel, managed to grumble as she yawned and stretched.

After a few moments of silence, she finally stood up, made her bed, and quickly made her way to the bathroom.

Lucy's morning sickness had recently grown more severe, most likely due to all the stress she'd been surrounded by lately. After flushing away all the stress, she showered, put on some makeup, and then, she just stopped.

She stared at herself in the mirror, with longing and fear, trying desperately to see the little girl she had once been; but it didn't work, that little girl was gone, and there was nothing she could do.

Then she turned, so that her stomach was facing sideways and she pulled her shirt up ever so slightly. You couldn't really tell, but there it was. A teeny-tiny bump.

"Okay baby. Today's the day." She paused briefly; searching for what that even meant. "It's the day you and me go away, we're going to have a pretty little apartment, where you and me can waste our lives eating fruit loops and watching Dora the Explorer." Lucy stopped short of finishing her motherhood speech and smiled widely, before continuing to speak in a hushed voice. "I promised I wouldn't wish for a boy or girl, but I really do want a little girl. Then I can buy you Tutus and toy trains... It'll be great. Just us against the world."

Continuing to smile, but this time with sad eyes, she pulled her shirt back down and walked back into her bedroom. She got dressed quickly into a pair of light blue jeggings, a charcoal grey long sleeved shirt, and a pair of navy blue converse.

Afterwards she took a deep breath and circled around her room. As she looked at all her childhood pictures, the snow globe her uncle gave her when she was seven, the Alice in wonderland book her aunt always used to read her before bed, and the last thing her mother had ever given her, a stuffed dog.

Lucy slowly reached for the dog, but once the plush animal was within her grasp she couldn't help but hug it as tightly as possible. "Goodbye, little Quinn. See you around." and in that moment she shoved the stuffed plastic-eyed animal into her bag and fled the building she would for the last time call home.