Chapter 34: Couldn't Tell

Things weren't weird between Damian and I, maybe it was the lack of secrets between us. Or maybe we had just gotten too used to each other. Everything was good for once, and I was finally part of an ideal family. Damian always kept his guard up and was serious all the damn time. Then he changed, in a good way, he still wanted our relationship to be more serious though. I found a damn ring in the closet about a week ago and was tempted to throw it down the laundry-shoot. I put it back where I'd found it.

Damian came home from work early that day. "Anyone home?"

"Who's asking?" I said with a smile and turned around to look at him, with Deidre in my arms.

Damian's eyes smiled as I looked at him, he had already managed to remove his tie, which was now hanging loosely around the collar of his shirt. He somehow always had energy even after doing so much all day. He leaned in a kissed me before taking Deidre from my arms, so I could carry Delia upstairs to play before bedtime, while he carried Deidre. The twins playtime consisted of fighting over a plastic telephone and then a toy car, when their eyes became weary and tired we red them The Giving Tree, and tucked them in for the night. I flipped the nightlight on as we exited the children's domain, not that the house wasn't still a mess of toys scattered throughout every space possible.

As we entered the bedroom, Titus darter through the door as we were opening it, not long after Alfred followed slowly. As usual Titus took over the bed, with his giant-like Great Dane body. As we were getting into bed with the beasts Alfred proceeded to jump up and promptly curl up on top of Titus.

Damian had taken the next day off, and refused to tell me what plans he had made. All he said was, "I have a surprised planned, don't worry about it. And don't look so annoyed, believe me you'll love it."
What. Do. You. Mean. Damian.

It's not that I didn't want to marry Damian, it was just very hard for me to let my walls down enough to trust him, let alone anyone else. The thought of commitment might have been hard as well, but there was another problem that had terrified me at the time.

Vincent had been asking about my whereabouts. If he saw any of the pictures of Damian and I with the twins, he might put it all together. I didn't want him to be in my life in anyway, ever again, especially after what he did. I couldn't tell anyone what he did, I still kept it from myself, like it was some awful little lie.

I think it was the fear that made it so damn hard.

• I may have updated but I may be screaming. I have the following chapter practically finished so looks like this story will be continuing more steadily for a bit! •