Chapter 33: Gone Batty

After a few silent moments of me glaring at Damian, he finally spoke. "Okay, so I'm not just the future head of Wayne Industries..." He stopped for a moment to find the right words, "I'm kinda... well I am... Robin."
"You're who now?" I exclaimed, as I processed what he'd just told me. It was then that all the pieces fell into place and I understood. It all make sense. "Then...who..." My face suddenly lost all surprise and found overwhelming passionate aggression. "Wait! Does Sierra know?" Damian simply responded with a crooked smile. "Well she is my sister, so she knows just as much as I do."
"There's more?"
"I think I've said too much already..."
"Damian, I swear!" 
"I'm not telling you anything until you calm down."
I rolled my eyes and sat down on a swivel chair next to the wall of computer monitors. "Alright, I'm calm." I said, gathering as much composure as I could. Damian's eyes drifted off in search of where to begin. The moment he found it, his eyes met mine. "My family isn't... anywhere near normal. My mother is the daughter of an assassin... and I was raised to be an assassin until I was 10 and obviously I began living here." Before he said anything else his hand wrapped around my wrist and he led me around to a display where manikins were all dressed in capes and armor. The one that caught my eye happened to belong to Damian's father. "And my dad is Batman. Who married Cat Woman, my stepmother." I turn my head to face him. "So your family... is officially more fucked up than mine." Damian shrugged and asked, "What about your family?" I raised an eyebrow and pursed my lips, thinking about the uncomfortable idea of family.

"Well that's another kind of joke entirely." I replied grimly. As uncertain as I felt, the pull I felt on my heart strings was far stronger. "My parents... used to be people. But they aren't my family, they were never there, so they have no right to be family. You've already met the people that matter."

Damian watched me carefully, but not long after he was already done being serious. "So I guess we won't be having any family dinners in the future. That's too bad, I love awkward conversations and spilt wine."  I couldn't help but smile and respond sarcastically,  "How tragic..."

I don't love this chapter, but at least It's helping the plot go in the right direction and  I can move onto the fun chapters...