Chapter 19

We got to the hotel. We're rooming with Shawn and Taylor this time.

Rae just sat there on our bed. Knees scrunched up to her chest with her arms wrapped around them. She was staring at the end of the bed. She hasn't said a word.

None of us boys knew what to do. We just stood there trying not to look at her but failing. "Hey Shawn and Taylor, I just got a text from Bart saying that he wants to talk to us three," I said showing my phone in my hand. They nodded and rushed out of the room.

"Dude what is up with her? What's it matter that her team gained twelve freshies?" Taylor asked.

"I don't know," I said shaking my head the leaned against the wall. Matt, Cameron, and Carter came out of there rooms with the exact same facial expressions we had.

"Macy's bad too?" Shawn asked.

"She's just sitting there on the bed playing with her hands. She hasn't spoken since the limo ride," Matt said rubbing the back of his neck.

I slid down the wall to sit on the floor. So did the other boys. "Really guys, how can you not figure this out?" Shawn asked.

"There's nothing we can do!" I said raising my voice.

Shawn put his hands up in defense, "Calm down bro."

"He's right, there's nothing we can do," Matt said shaking his head.

"Put the pieces together! Macy and Rae aren't sad about the number of players, it's the replacement," Taylor said, and Shawn nodded in agreement.

"So the fact that they're going to lose their position?" Matt asked confused. Everyone gave him a stupid look, but I couldn't, I'm just as confused as he is.

"It's what happens after, when they're gone," Carter said.

"They go to college?" Matt said confused.

"They're finally getting somewhere with this," Cam said laughing.

It finally clicked in my head. "It's what happens at college with us," I said to Matt.

"But I'm going to move with Macy!" Matt said.

"Have you told her that?" Shawn asked.

"Well-" he paused, "no, I was going to surprise her."

"What about you Nash?" Cameron asked.

"We haven't even mentioned it."

*Rae's P.O.V*

I need to get out of here. I need to leave. I can't do this anymore. When Nash comes walking through that door, he's going to want to talk about it. I don't know what I'm going to do. I dont even know what I want to do. I mean yeah softball is great, but there's also my fans. Do I even need college to succeed in life? Life is going great so far and I'm still in high school.

I stood up and walked over to the balcony. The cool Chicago breeze blew my hair back. I looked to my left to see more balconies and then buildings. I turned to the right and I guess it's my lucky day.

A fire escape.

*Nash's P.O.V*

We talked out in the hall for thirty minutes before Matt decided to go see Macy. We did rock, paper, scissors to see who had to go first. He lost within the first two draws.

About ten minutes had gone bye. The door finally clicked open. First came out Matt the Macy behind him. He was holding to her hand like he would never let go. She smiled. Her eyes were red. She was crying. "Hey guys, thanks for everything you did to knock some sense into Matt," she said laughing looking up at him.

We all laughed while Matt made a face. "To my defense I was going to surprise you once you committed somewhere."

"Whatever," she jokingly said giggling. They both sat down in the hallway then all eyes were on me.

"You're up bro," Cameron said.

I nodded then somehow made my way to my feet. I pulled the room key out of my pocket, and slid it in the door. The little light turned green unlocking the door. I took in a a breath then opened the door. "Rae?"

I stepped in closing the door behind me. There was no response. The room was silent. "Rae? It's just me,"  I said walking through the little hallway into the main part of the room. It was empty.

I tore through the room checking every spot, hoping that she's just hiding from me as a joke. I ran out of the room to now all the boys and Macy. "She's gone."

*Rae's  P.O.V*

"Flight 309 to North Carolina now boarding," the speaker said. I stood up and got in line behind a bunch of people. When it was finally my turn I handed the lady my ticket. She smiled, ripped off the tab at the end, handed me back what was left of my ticket, and said, "Have a nice flight."

I gave her a small smile then walked through the terminal and onto the plane. I started to search for my seat when I heard my name. I searched all over for someone I knew, but didn't see anyone.

I finally found my seat then felt a tap on my arm, "Are you Rae Dallas?" A little girl was sitting next to me probably around seven or eight years old

I smiled, "Yes, I'm Rae, what is your name?"

"I'm Holly."

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, what are you doing here?"

"I'm not feeling too well, so I need to go home for a little bit."

"But don't you live in California?"

"Yes I do, but I have some family that lives in North Carolina that I really need to visit."

"Oh I get it, you're going to see Nash!" She said smiling showing her still tiny teeth.

"No, he's on tour right now."

"Oh, that's cool."

"Can you keep a secret for me?" I asked and she nodded excitedly, "Promise me that you don't tell anyone where I am going."

"I pinky promise," she said sticking out her tiny finger.

Vote & Comment