Chapter 2: Good Friends!

After meeting Joan and spending time with her for the evening, I was back home by midnight.

I've never been out that late whenever I needed to clear my head from all these thoughts. My family didn't know that I was out that late. (They fell asleep after I left.) Except for my older brother, Jack. When I got home, I saw Jack sitting on the living room couch, in the dark. He lit up a few candles. "Where were you?" He asked.

"Out." I replied. "I know that." He said. " I was there when you stormed out." "Why do you care?" I asked. Jack sighed. He got up off the couch and blew out the candles. "Goodnight, Tammy." He went upstairs to his room. After that strange moment, I went upstairs to my room and went to bed. It took me a while for me to fall asleep, though. I couldn't stop thinking about my day. Meeting Joan especially. She's so cool. I finally fell asleep

...The Next Morning...

I woke up at 7:30 in the summer morning. I don't normally wake up that early during the summer. I went downstairs to the kitchen to have some breakfast. I found my brother making eggs and toast. Normally, at this time of day, Jack is already out with his friends doing god knows what? "Where's mom?" I asked. "Sleeping" "Dad?" "Out" "Work?" Jack sighed. " That's likely." He looked sad. He doesn't usally get sad that often. I knew something was wrong.

"Is everything alright?" I asked. Jack looked up and gave me a confused look "Yeah, I'm fine." He was obviously trying to hide it. He thinks it's not that manly to look like your upset infront of a girl. He handed me a plate of eggs and toast. We both ate breakfast together. Which was nice because we don't eat breakfast together in the morning during Summer vacation.

......We finally finished. "I'll make you a deal." Jack said. "I'll clean the dishes and you take out the trash."    "Sounds good" I replied.... I opened the front door to take out the trash, and there was Joan standing right infront of me. "Woah" I screamed. Joan smiled "Morning. brown eyes!" (Yeah I have brown eyes. So does Joan) "Hey Joan, you scared the crap out of me" "Sorry. I wanted to ask if you wanted-."  "Tammy? Are you alright?  Who's at the door?"

Jack walked up behind me and saw Joan outside. He didn't look to friendly to Joan. "Hi." Jack said. "S'up?" Joan asked. Jack looked suprised when Joan said that. Girls normally don't act the way Joan does. All boy-ish like."So Tammy, I uhh was wondering if you wanted to hang out with me today?"  "Who's this, Tammy?" Jack asked suppiciously. It seemed like he already didn't like Joan that much.

Joan smiled "Hi I'm Joan" "Hello, Joan" Jack said in an unfriendly tone. I gave him an "Are you serious" look. "Yeah uhh, Tammy. You can go ahead." He said. "I'll let mom or dad know. Have fun and be good." I laughed. That was the first time he said that to me. It was so wierd. "Thanks, Jack." "Mmmhhmm" He closed the door.

Joan could tell that what just happened was abit strange and that I was a bit confused. She gave me a hug. " So that's Jack?" She asked. "Yup" I answered. "How old is he?" "15" I replied. Joan nodded her head.

..... We first went back to the beach for a few hours. Then we went to Pup N' Fries to get something to eat for lunch. We decided to go to the movies after that. The movie we saw was so good. I swear I wanted to go back in there to watch it again. After the movie, Joan said that she wanted to go to a store to buy a few things. So we did..

Joan bought a T-shirt of The Beatles and a new pair of jeans. I wanted to buy a few things too but I didn't have any money left. So Joan decided to buy me a few pairs of jeans, a blue T-shirt, and some lipstick as joke. We got Ice-cream after that.... It was around 5:00pm now. Joan told me that she had to go home to help her family unpack. She invited me over.

..... We were at Joan's house by 6:00. Her family wasn't expecting me of course. "Hi Joanie!" Her mom said. She smiled. "Who's this?" She asked. "Hi mom. She's a new friend of mine. We just met     yesterday. Her name is Tammy." " Hi" I said and smiled. "Well hello, Tammy." Joan's mom said and smiled. "I'm Joan's mother. You can call me Mrs. Larkin. This is my husband Mr. Larkin and this is Joan's younger brother and sister. I smiled "It's nice to meet you all!" I said.

"Indeed." Mr. Larkin said. He smiled. "It's nice to know that Joanie has already made a new friend. Sorry our place is messy. We just moved here 2 days ago and we just started to unpack yesterday." "Oh no, it's fine" I said.... Joan's family seemed really nice. They let me stay, help them unpack and have dinner.

..... After dinner, Joan and I went to Joan's room. She opened the door and the first thing I saw was a white electric guitar on her bed. It was so cool. I knew that she loved Music alot. It was the first time I saw a girl with an electric guitar. "Woah, you have a guitar? No way" Joan had a big smile on her face, "Yeah, my parents bought it for me before we moved here. I'm actually starting guitar lessons next week. I'm so excited."

"DUDE, YOU'RE SO LUCKY!!!!!!!!" I screamed. Joan laughed... She put a vinyl record on the gramaphone. We started singing and dancing to some music........ A few hours passed. Mrs. Larkin knocked on the door and walked in. "Hey guys, it's starting to get late and we're all starting to get tired. I'm sorry to bother you but I'm going to have to drive you home, Tammy." "Oh it's okay. I understand. Thank you for having me over this evening, Mrs. Larkin." "You're welcome here anytime,  darling." "Thank you, that means alot." I said, then smiled. 

"Joan, would you like to come with me and Tammy?"  Joan smiled  "For sure!" She answered. "Alright, I'll meet you two at the car." Mrs. Larkin said. I faced Joan. "Joan, thank you for everything, today." "Anything for a good friend." She said. "Good friend?" I asked. "I know it's so soon to say that. She said. "But I never met anyone else like you. You are a great person. And I have a pretty good feeling that we are good friends, already." I had a tear in my eye.

"Thank you Joan" I gave her a hug. She huged me back....

.....I got back home and found my dad in the kitchen with a beer bottle in his hand. He smiled "Hey Tammy. How are you? Where have you been?" "Hi dad" I answered. "I'm great, thanks. I made a new friend yesterday and we hung out today. I had a great day!" My dad smiled again "That's nice!" He kissed me on the cheeck.