Chapter 22: Being Rejected by 27 Record Labels!

"YOU WHAT!!??" "I moved to New York with Joan and another friend." "Yeah Tammy, I heard you. But WHY???'' "Because, Jack... I was getting sick and tired living in California. Everything felt the same, seing the exact same thing over and over again. I needed something new, for once. I just graduated High School. And there was no oppurtunities for me becasue I've lived there my entire life. I knew that New York would have many new oppurtunities. So I moved." "Okay, okay. You should of called me before you left. I'm glad you called me now, before something bad happened, or something like that.

Have you found a place yet?" "No, not yet. We just got here." "You're telling me that you havent found a place to live?" "Yeah, pretty much. We might live on the streets like we use to untill we find somewhere to live." "Dude, living on the streets in a city you've never been to before? That's fucking dangerous! Please don't do that." "Well maybe Kenny found a place. He did say he was comming here before we decided to go. "Who the hell is Kenny?" "He's the friend that Joan and I came to New York, with. Hey Kenny, you found a place to live right?"

Kenny's voice from the backround yelled back. "Yeah, but it's not big enough." "At least theres somewhere to live. You hear that Jack?" There was a moment of silence. Jack took a deep breath and exhaled. "Alright.. Just stay safe." "I will. By Jack!" I hung up the phone. Joan walked up to me with a hudge smile on her face. "All good?" I smiled, nodded and said. "Yes." Joan cheered and gave me a hug.

....1 Year Later (1980)...

Joan, Kenny and I live in a apartment in New York. 1 living room/kitchen 2 bathrooms and three bedrooms. You see, there is one room that Joan sleeps in. Then there is the door to the bathroom that Joan and I share and then there's another door to my room.  Kenny has his own room and his own bathroom. People can also use that bathroom when they come over as guests or something like that.

In the living room/kitchen, there is a mini recording studio, 4 guitars, Joan's, Kenny's and mine. But Joan once told me that I was better as a bass guitarist. Kenny agreed. I thought that they were right. So they bought me a bass guitar for my birthday. Oh yeah. Kenny bought a piano keyboard thing because he also knows how to play. Kenny also has been teaching me. So yeah.. I sorta know how to play the piano now! Haha.

Over the past year, we've all met a few guys who play guitar, bass and drums. We've all became really good friends. They're names are Ricky Byrd , Lee Crystal , Gary Ryan and Eric Ambel  . They are now in a band with Joan and Kenny. They decided to call themselves "The Blackhearts" Yeah. I'm not really in the band but I'd rather just write songs with them. One day I suggested that they call themselves "Joan Jett and The Blackhearts" At first they didn't agree. After a while, they did.

...

We all finished writting songs and recording them. We wanted to make a debut album foor "Joan Jett and The Blackhearts. But first we needed to find a label that would produce it. So we decided that we woud send some songs that we recorded to a few labels to see if they would produce the album.

The songs that we sent were "Bad Reputation" (A song that Joan and Kenny wrote) a cover of Gary Glitter's "Do You Wanna Touch Me? (Oh Yeah)"  "I Love Rock N' Roll" and a cover of Tommy James and The Shondels "Crimson and Clover". Yeah I know.. Crimson and Clover. Me and Joan's favorite song. I feel so special. Haha.

One night, (Late at night) I was lying on my bed thinking about the future ahead of us. There was a knock on the door. Then it opened. "Hey Tammy, are you still awake?" It was Joan. I put my head up and smiled. "Yes I am!" Joan smiled and jumped on my bed. "Damn it Tammy! I'm so FUCKING EXCITED, man!" Joan started jumping on the bed again and pulled me up. She made me start jumping with her. Even though I was very tired, I was still very happy for Joan.