01

"In the name of Adonai the God of Israel: May the angel Michael be at my right, and the angel Gabriel be at my left; and in front of me the angel Uriel, and behind me the angel Raphael, and above my head the Sh'khinah." The darkness of the wooden shack seemed all encompassing, like nothing could possibly penetrate it, or escape; but yet, from within the dark, a small voice seemed to make itself known. The wind outside howled relentlessly, the rain of the day also hitting the small, almost pointless window like bullets. The mere thought of bullets caused the owner of the voice, a small girl, to shudder in disdain and horror from what memories were being trudged up. There was nothing to do in here, other than to be left in solitude, and with solitude came thoughts.

Pushing herself up from her bunk, a bunk which was simply a slab of wood with the thinest pillows and blanket, she glanced to the window. There wasn't much in way of light here, a simple lamp burned brightly, but even that seemed to be dwindling pathetically and the light being swallowed by the darkness. It was so thick, and heavy that even the small sliver of moon which had appeared through the clouds struggled. Nothing, not the lamp, or natures own lights; the sun, or moon, and even the stars could do anything to shake the darkness away. This night was darker than dark, and all there seemed to be currently was darkness.

Her bright, luminous almost electric green eyes narrowed sceptically at the dark sky outside. The rain was ceasing, not that that meant anything, but it definitely did seem like the night was darker than usual. The rain continued, bucketing down heavily, the clouds seemingly unrelenting in unleashing their heavy load, the tracks of raindrops were watched, her small head tilting as she wrapped her blanket around herself and took to kneeling. The bunk made the slightest creaks from her light weight shifting, but that soon echoed off into the dark corners of the building.

There was a noise, a familiar noise which had now haunted her dreams and bought dread to her ever waking moment. Her stomach dropped, flipped, turned, everything and anything as she tensed in her bed. Footsteps. Heavy, booted, thundering almost against the wet mud and ground outside as they came her way. She could confuse the loud noises for thunder, but even thunder sounded slightly kinder than this. Raking a thin hand through her hair, she looked worriedly around. There was no point in fighting back, or even trying to resist. These men would drag her out of here kicking and screaming, sometimes they'd even just knock her out and take her away. She'd then wake up in that place, surrounded by all sorts of medical equipment and a man bent on hurting her.

Swinging her thin legs over the bunk, she shakily stood. Her legs wobbled a little from the lack of food, and she stood, wrapped in her thin grey blanket, no expression on her face and looking determinedly at the door. No more kicking and screaming. Over the gradual time she'd been here, her resistance may have never quelled, but she wasn't going to give them the satisfaction of seeing her terrified. They would win that way. And her spirit was a lot stronger than they gave her credit for.

Despite not wanting to show fear, she still flinched when the door was practically kicked open. More force was sent in the doors direction than what was necessary. Blinking slowly, she looked from the uniformed men; the rain dripping off of them, making their uniforms seem darker then even the shadows in this space, to the boy they were seemingly dragging along. Much like herself, or anyone here, they acted as if he was the worst thing they'd ever had to touch, or be near. Both men dropped the boy, as his legs gave out they even shoved him fully to fall against the hard, unforgiving ground before they turned and made their way back to the door. They didn't want to linger in here, even as the boy managed to get himself up and off of the floor and to stand watching them, there were no words exchanged. Unceremoniously, the door slammed shut, the sound thudding heavily, and also mutely as silence returned. The clicking of the lock just signalled again, that there was no escape from this space. Not unless they wanted her, or now the boy out.