18

"Little Liesel Jäger, just look at you! Never would I have believed that the small child from years ago, would turn out to be such a beautiful young woman." A voice from behind spoke. Liesel had been standing stock still on the deck of this ship staring blankly ahead. She couldn't move. Simply couldn't. It was all her nightmares in one. She would've liked to have asked how he could even see her face to call her beautiful; but her voice was gone. She was so distracted by the nightmare that was now reality. Being on a boat, surrounded by water, with that man behind her. She recognised his voice as soon as he started speaking. Her eyes narrowed as she slowly managed to turn on her heels and look at him. He looked no different. Perhaps a little stupider, she thought. Considering he was standing in a navy blue velvet jacket, white trousers and a white shirt. Who wears velvet in hot weather? She felt like voicing this yet didn't.

"What do you want?" Liesel asked in heavily accented English. Seems he spoke to her in the language, she saw it only as polite, though she doubted he knew the word and its meaning, to reply in the same language. Truth be told, English wasn't a strong suit for her. Half the language she didn't understand, and some of the slang was way over her head.

"See," Schmidt pointed a finger at her while walking closer. He ran a hand through his hair before putting an arm around her shoulders and directing her towards the deck chairs. She naturally tensed under his touch, yet allowed him to guide her. She had learned from experience that fighting back against him only led to pain. She was more than sure that it would be the same now. "That question has so many answers as well as meanings. I mean, what do I want right now? Well, preferably I'd like you to stop glaring and looking like a petulant child. I thought you had grown out of that habit a long time ago, Liesel."

"Why am I here?" Liesel fidgeted in the deck chair and looked about herself. She regretted it, hugely. All she saw was clear, blue seas, and it caused her stomach to tighten. She couldn't deal with this.

Schmidt smiled at her, it was a sickly thing really which caused her to feel worse. "I always had hoped you and Erik would stay together. Yet when I choose to catch up with you both, I find you are on a mission to find me."

"How-"

"Do I know?" As if on cue a blonde walked out from below deck, she looked at the pair before rolling her blue eyes and turning away. She figured that something was going on between the pair and went to the higher deck. Liesel could vaguely see her lay down in a deck chair and lounge out in the sun.

"She's..." Liesel struggled and ended up pointing at herself.

"Yes," he answered with a nod. "Quite special in fact. Telepathic, what were the chances?" He questioned and actually decided to withhold Emma's other talent.

"But how'd you find me, or us?"

"You two are easier to find than you think. Just follow the destruction."

"The bank?"

"Had you two written all over it."

"Not as stealthy as I think then, huh?" Liesel smiled wryly and scratched the back of her neck. Schmidt laughed at that which caused her to look at him worriedly. She hadn't really ever heard him laugh, at least not like that. A chuckle, yes, not a full on laugh.

"It's not you that raises warning signs, it's who you run with that does."

"He's...angry." Liesel said slowly with a distant look. "He is single-handedly perhaps the angriest person I know."

"Yet that doesn't stop you from caring." One would think that lingering anger would put someone off, or rather make them extremely hesitant to be around the person. Yet not here, for example.