02

"Wake up, Erik! Please, Erik... wake up!" Liesel continued to shake and pull at the older boy laying curled up in his bed. She looked to the door and rushed to the window quickly. With struggling efforts she jumped up and down and saw the set of soldiers heading towards their direction. Running back she grasped a hold of his arm and tugged him with all the strength she could muster, which really wasn't all that much. Pouting and pulling the itchy cover off of him, she watched with a small amount of triumph as he shivered, which she felt guilty for, and turned over to face her. His brown hair stuck up at odd directions from tossing and turning in bed, and his blue eyes blinked slowly. He looked startled through bleary eyes before he seemed to remember where he was, and who she was. "Get up!" Liesel stomped a booted foot on the ground and looked at him pleadingly. 

It was either he got up on his own accord, or he was dragged out of bed. Either option was bad, waking up bought nothing to a bleak day, and the other hurt. Either way Liesel believed the first option was the best, though it seemed Erik needed some encouragement. Not that she blamed him. Unlike everyone else within this place, all Liesel ever did was stay in this cabin. She was being honest with Erik last night, the only time she got freedom, if it could be called that, was when she was called to the Doctor's office. This happened at least twice maybe three times a week. She couldn't say it was a pleasant experience.

Hearing the urgency in her voice, Erik wasted no time in flinging his legs over the bed and standing up. He straightened out his trousers and jacket and looked at her. Liesel had to tiptoe but she managed to make his hair look less ruffled than it did moments ago. "What's going on?" Erik asked still sounding more asleep than awake.

Liesel turned to the door just as the sounds of a lock clicked and rattled out of place. "We have a Doctor's appointment." Her bright green eyes flicked away from the door and to him. He visibly tensed from that simple sentence. Moving away from in front of him, she stood by her bed and looked worriedly at the door as it opened.

Everyone and everything here was so much bigger and stronger than herself. Though she seemed wise and privy to behave, when confronted with four dark grey uniformed men, she reverted to a scared child. From the moment they had first met, Erik surmised there was a small gap between their ages, perhaps two to three years, but as two of the soldiers rounded on her to act as escorts, she looked at least half her age and close to crying. The brave face and determination she had moments ago was gone. And truly all that remained was a frightened little girl.

Not putting up any resistance the two of them left the dreary light of the cabin and into the even drearier light of the day. Everything seemed so grey. The sky didn't wish to show any sun, only greying clouds, still carrying loads of rain no doubt. The ground was a mixture of grime, mud and debris. The clothing of the people they passed were dark and loose fitting on slimming frames. Walking into a reasonably well lit corridor, the two were led into a separate room. One which Erik didn't wish to return to anytime soon, and one which caused Liesel to sniffle quietly. Being side by side he easily managed to glance down at her as she tensed at the sounds of footsteps from behind.

With exaggerated movements, the Doctor gestured his arms to them with a smile on his face. He looked between them, the smile slipped from his face as he caught sight of Liesel's moment of distress. Stepping forwards, he waved the soldiers away which were lurking close to her. Leaning his hands against his knees, he looked up at her face. "Oh little Liesel, why so glum? I have what I promised, you can have it only if you do as I ask of you. It isn't so hard, is it?" Standing up straight Doctor Klaus Schmidt readjusted the black framed glasses on his face and set his gaze to the other child present. "Ah, Erik. It's good to see you again." As if they would never cross paths again when Erik had nowhere to go.