05

Picking at chipping wood from the windowsill, Liesel hummed absentmindedly to herself. She was trying to take her mind off of the protests of ignorance from the man on the floor. With a huff she turned and looked at him with narrowed eyes. The fact that he just started laughing at them both didn't seem to settle well with Erik either. With a shrug he flexed his hand in the air, the man's gun appeared in his hand. But instead of firing off a bullet he instead hit him firmly around the temple. In seconds the man was unconscious.

Turning the gun over in his hands, Erik gave a shrug. Placing it in his pocket, he walked over to her. Rocking on her heels she merely looked up at him. Erik frowned, she didn't even need to voice her question, her expression said it all. And truthfully speaking, Erik did not know what to do now. He had hoped the soldier would just confess all when put under enough pressure; and Erik really did apply some pressure to him, but no. He stayed silent. Resolute on being mute. They did not want to know all the inner most secrets to bring the empire down. They just wanted to know of a way out, and of the whereabouts of Liesel's sister.

Scratching her head in thought, she glanced out of the window and then at him. "It's not about the size of a dog in a fight. It's the size of the fight that is within the dog." Erik looked at her curiously with her choice of words. Liesel turned and looked at him fully. Reaching up she placed her hands against his shoulders. "I will fight to find my sister, and to get out of here...I may require help though, because...well, I'm small and not as strong as you."

Erik smiled and turned towards the door. "Anyone who can stop a man's heart with a touch is plenty strong." He nodded his head and she followed after him briskly. "But I won't lie, you are small, I agree with you on that. Everything else I don't." Liesel pouted yet sighed and hung her head. Waving a hand at him, she merely smiled and let it go. Opening the door the two of them tentatively peeked around it, seeing the coast was clear they ran out, making sure to keep low to the ground and in the shadows.

Hunkering down near a cabin, they paused and looked about themselves. Tapping Liesel on the shoulder, Erik merely pointed a finger to the side. She squinted against the bleak light and shook her head quickly. Grabbing a hold of her wrist, Erik dragged her around the cabin and closer to their target. A long driveway was situated peeking out between where the medical building was and the soldier's barracks. An hour or so earlier it had been the same driveway which Schmidt had driven down and disappeared on. Pausing again between the two buildings, they looked about. By now any prisoners which were milling about in the grubby space had disappeared. Neither knew where to. But with them gone, so were the soldiers. Even as they knelt in the mud they could hear talking from one building.

"It cannot be time for bed yet." Liesel whispered while looking to the side at Erik. "Do you think they are on lockdown?"

"Or are they doing something else?"

"Like?"

"News of the landings must have reached everyone by now, yes? If we are to presume that then they'd be preparing for an attack." Erik paused to see Liesel give a nod, so far she was following. "Listen to them...do they sound relaxed? They sound concerned. They are worried, Liesel. Also...is it not a bit too quiet? Even when everyone is shut away there is still noise."

"What are you saying? That they've done something else to the others here?" Liesel's concern was evident in her voice.

"I do not know." Erik said only to exclaim her name in a harsh whisper when she stood and bolted out from their hiding place. Gritting his teeth he clenched his fists before letting out a heavily irritated sigh. Impulsive little girl! Looking from one side to the other, Erik groaned.

The gate was so close. A five minute walk if that. Yet he couldn't rightfully leave her running amok. Standing up, Erik ran after her. She didn't make her presence secretive so why should he? It was a bit late for secrecy anyway. After all, a few soldiers were already dead thanks to him, and another was unconscious in a shack. Skidding around a corner he watched Liesel come running out of a cabin, prisoners shambling after her, all confused as to what was happening. Frantically looking about she picked up running again. Hearing shouting and the clicking of a gun being cocked, Erik moved forwards. Liesel got to him first and the force of sparking light which came from her hand all but punched a hole through the man's chest. He didn't stand a chance. Even before he hit the ground he was dead. Eyes staring blankly at nothing.