55

"Guten Morgen, Darwin." Were the first whispered words which came to him as he slowly came back around. He opened his eyes slowly, blinking equally as slow; Darwin turned his head and looked to the seat beside the bed. He was still in the infirmary, he didn't know how long he'd been here for. He also didn't know when she reappeared. Darwin in a haze of pain remembered seeing Liesel leave the manor. He had heard Charles's words, well at least some of them. He made it seem rather clear that he didn't want her here, or at least he didn't wish for whatever attention would follow her.

Darwin looked her up and down tiredly. She looked pale, her auburn hair hung loosely plaited, though most of it looked like it was escaping the tie. She wore simple clothes consisting of a black vest and tracksuit bottoms; similar to gear they wore when training. Her arms rested against her knees, bandages were wrapped around injuries, but for the most part she seemed to be in one piece. She came off worse out of the two of them, but then Darwin supposed she wasn't flung angrily into a wall by Erik, unlike himself. In fact he hadn't made a move to harm her at all, which was surprising as it was admirable. Warped, but admirable.

"How're you feeling?" Liesel asked while tilting her head to the side as he sat himself up. He nodded slowly and turned to look at her. "Good, I mainly came down to see how you were...and to say farewell."

"You're being kicked out?" Darwin asked with a frown.

Liesel laughed, "No." She calmed her laughter and hung her head. "I had, have, a sister, who I thought was dead for so many years...turns out she's not, and she's living in Washington. When Charles told me to leave, I did, but he found me again and told me that she's alive and well. It's a decent peace offering. I'm leaving, Darwin, I'm leaving to go find my sister. I don't think I'll be back here, but...good luck, in whatever it is you're going to do in the future." Liesel smiled and stood up. She straightened out her top and nodded down at him. "You were right, and thank you for having my back when I needed it. I won't forget that. Bye, Darwin, it was good meeting you." Liesel waved at him and turned away and exited the room.

She inhaled and exhaled slowly, looking both ways of the corridor she stood for a moment or two before turning and walking back up into the space above. Walking along wooden corridors she turned slowly and moved into the study. Charles sat looking out of one of the large windows in the room. Even though she was silent in her entrance he still perked up and looked over his shoulder at her. Liesel smiled and shuffled over to stand by his side. She half wondered what it must be like to be so in tune with everything in one space that you'd sense a presence when all else was silent.

In the end though this thought died, it petered off to nowhere and she was left with empty thoughts of nothing. "I said goodbye to Darwin." Liesel explained, though she was certain that Charles already knew. He nodded slowly and even smiled lightly over that. He was rather glad that at least one person he knew didn't leave things unfinished. "I also explained where I was going." She watched the clouds lazily roll across the sky, with a sigh she looked down to see Charles watching her intently. "Is he going to stay here?"

"It is entirely up to him. I won't force him to, but if he wishes to stay; then he can. There will always be a place for him if he wants to return." He paused to think over his next words before looking from the window and then back to her. "Same goes for you, Liesel." She raised an eyebrow at this, turning slowly she sat down on the window seat. Crossing her arms loosely she looked at him curiously. Charles smiled, "Things may not pan out quite like you want them to with your sister." Liesel's eyes flitted down to the ground, though she nodded; it was clear that she had thought something similar, even if she didn't voice anything. "And if things don't go well, you are more than welcome to come back. You will always have a place here too." Charles smiled at her, he meant it. After years apart there was nothing to say that the reunion would go well, apprehension and caution just niggled at him.