War

I don't really know what to do. Julianna was scent back because of me! Because Maddox was giving me all his attention and didn't give her a chance.

But we didn't want him to give her a chance! A part of me cried.

The selfish part. But I know that he should have! If it wasn't for me, this country wouldn't be at war. I haven't had anyone to talk to since Julianna left, so the guilt has been eating me from the inside out.

Maybe we should leave. A part of me wondered.

I shook my head. I told Maddox that I wouldn't.

But maybe it would be better. It is our fault.

I cringed, then sat down by my window. What could I do?

I'm a well educated woman! I will help! I decided firmly.

Then, I called a driver and went out to the city. 
.....
7 hours later

I pulled up to the castle, feeling completely exhausted. As I walked up the steps, the door swung open and out came a furious Maddox.

"Where the h*ll have you been?" He demanded, furious.

I stood there shocked. Did he just curse at me?

"Don't just gape at me like a fish, Rebecca! Tell me where you were!" He shouted.

"I was... In town," I replied, stiff.

"Did you magically forget the part of our deal where you're not allowed to leave the castle without me?" He sneered.

My anger spiked. Who does he think he is?!

"I was under the impression the deal was over, since I agreed to stay," I ground out through my teeth.

He scoffed.

"And what were you doing? Tell me this, Rebecca. Did you sneak out to visit a man? To gossip about me? Why were you gone?" He yelled at me, pointing accusingly.

"I was helping out around the city ok?" I screamed back.

He faltered.

"Since war was declared, everyone has been in a panic. I simply went around the city giving out clothes and free meals, trying to cheer them up," I told him, glaring.

He looked down, quiet.

"Well, you could've told me where you went," he said softly.

"You could've asked instead of assuming," I pointed out, then brushed past him to go inside.
"And it's nice to know I'm still a prisoner," I added sarcastically.
...
So now I'm back pacing. Do I stay or do I go? Should I talk to Maddox about it? What do I do? A knock sounded at my door. I opened it to see Maddox. He looked at me apologetically.

"Can I come in?"

I nodded, glaring slightly. He came in and I closed the door behind him.

"I'm sorry I yelled at you. I was just worried," he said, looking down.

"You should trust me, Maddox. You say I could be your queen, but you can't even trust me to leave the castle alone? Why is that?"

He sighed, rubbing the back of his neck. I noticed he did that when he was exasperated.

"You're a very beautiful woman, Rebecca. You could have any man you want! A lot of the time I fear and wonder about that topic," he confessed.

I let out a breath of air.

"I'm faithful, Maddox. You should know that I'm fiercely loyal."

"I know. But the thought still sneak in."

I put my hand on his cheek.

"It's ok. I won't cheat," I assured him gently.

He nods, leaning into my touch.

"How's... All the war strategizing going?" I asked hesitantly.

"Ok," he grumbled.

"Let us not talk about that though. Honestly,  it is very frustrating and has ground away the last of my patience."

Guilt flooded me. I know that it was Maddox's idea to say that stuff, but I can't help but feel partially responsible.

"I'm sorry," I said softly.

He looked at me questioningly.

"I've been thinking a lot, maybe if I wasn't here, you would've married Julianna and united the kingdoms."

He looked at me, surprised.

"Of course I wouldn't. I'm a good judge of character, you have to be when you're destined to rule a country, and I know I could never be with Julianna. She's too shallow!"

I sighed, relieved.

"Really? You wouldn't even give her a chance? Even though she's completely gorgeous?"

He laughed.

"You know, I heard she went through a lot of plastic surgery to look like that! I would rather marry an actual person, not a Barbie."

I giggled at that.

"Tell me, Rebecca, have you ever had anything done to your natural appearance?" He asked, curious.

I shook my head.

"I mean, I wear make up and my mother made me wear a corset, but besides that, I am natural."

"A corset you say?" Maddox said, eyes darkening.

I blushed.

"Yes, she told me it was good for your curves."

"That's extremely sexy."

I blushed harder, then turned away.

"Well, it has been a rather long day, so I think I will retire," I said nervously.

He chuckled.

"Ok, good night love."

Then he placed a sweet, gentle kiss on my lips. I sighed happily.

This was what I have missed. Him.