Chapter 19

The visit of her family didn't last long, but for Emily it had been a precious time. Carol behaved like the same caring mama wolf and Matthew the same protective father she had always knew. For moments, Emily forgot that she wasn't living with them anymore. It felt good to be around the people that had raised her, that had teach her important things and been there in the most indispensable moments of her life. 

Hours passed while the family kept talking about their days. Carol told her daughter about her work at the bakery and about her new costumers. Most of them were wolves the same age as Emily that had found their mates and lived together in a different house from before. Laura and Brandon were one of them.

Her father wanted to know more about her training and her expectations about her future in the warriors rankings. None of them asked about Kyle and their relationship. Now, that subject was a taboo, close up with nine keys.

As good as it had been being with her family, the time to go back to the mansion arrived and Emily said her goodbyes.

Emily was pushing the front door open at the same moment that Marc was descending the stairs.

"Oh there you are. I was looking for you." He said, crossing the foyer in three large steps to join her at the door.

"Hey Marc. Is this about my new position?" She asked enthusiastically. Soon enough, her happy expression fell. Marc had a serious look on his face, a sign that she would not like what he had to say.

He took a deep breath before speaking, which confirmed Emily's suspicions even more.

"Yes. We decided that it was best for you to guard the kindergarten."

Emily couldn't move. She wasn't even sure if she had listen correctly. Kindergarten? What? Why? Who? The answer to the last question she knew too well but she wanted to believe she was wrong in guessing.

"What?? The kindergarten?? Tell me Marc... was a decision made by you all or just by Kyle?" Before Marc could open his mouth, she shook her head in disappointment.

"Don't even bother answering that..."She whispered, turning in the direction of the glass doors.
Her feet were moving at full speed before she even realized it. The door's to Kyle's study were close and she banged on them with both her hands, ignoring Marc shout from behind her. Marc must have decided that it would be better for him to return to his room because in a moment, the corridor fell silent.

Emily was angry. Her eyes were completely black, her canines had descended and she could feel her wolf trying to break the surface of her skin. She hadn't been so pissed in her life before and, for a second, she felt sorry for Kyle having to shield himself from her rage. The pity moment ended abruptly, when he appeared at the other end of the door, his eyes narrowed in surprised. 

Kyle wasn't surprised that Emily was in the other side of the door. He had expected it, actually, since he made the decision of giving her that position in his ranks. What he wasn't counting was that she had showed up almost in her wolf form. He could see by her posture that she was having a hard time controlling her beast.

Opening the door wider, he signaled Emily to enter his space and closed the door behind her. She didn't wait for the door to close before speaking.

"YOU!! You are the one responsible to put me in a low position such as a kindergarten guard!! How dare you Kyle? How can you have so little respect for me to do such thing."

Kyle didn't flinch, even when her stare was making him feel self-conscious. From his point of view, he had decide that she would guard the children to make sure she was safe. It was the lowest in the rank of warriors but it was also the safest one and he needed to know that she was far away from danger as she could possibly be. The problem that he hadn't foreseen, was that it would not make her happy and he didn't want to make her life miserable.