Chapter 23

Twenty minutes after the unexpected kiss and Kyle's escape, Emily was still in her room looking at the wall in front of her, completely lost to her thoughts. She couldn't understand Kyle's actions.

He had to feel something for me or he wouldn't have kissed me like that.

So... why does he pull away? Why he is fighting so much? Does he think that I'm not worth it? Is he in love with someone else?

Her wolf growled in her head when that idea took form. Emily's heart constricted as well. She didn't expect for Kyle to be her mate but she had always felt a strong connection toward that man. He was older than her, sure, but werewolves didn't age like humans.

That couldn't be the problem, could it?

Emily looked at the clock. It was already nine and dinner would be ready in half an hour. She didn't have any intention to go downstairs and risk to see Kyle, so she decided to go to bed and have some sleep. Only the teachers at the kindergarten knew how tough was to take care of those little devils.

Kyle was pacing frantically in his room. He felt that he had taken advantage of Emily by kissing her that way. It had been intense, a mix of passion and lust, that had escalated to dangerous proportions.

Emily was too sweet and innocent in his eyes. She didn't deserve a man with a dark past like his. He had killed many people, probably some innocent among them. The fact that he had become more benevolent since Emily joined his pack, didn't erase the mistakes he had commit.

He needed to talk with someone and that person was shutting himself from the world for the past week. That had to stop. Marc was drowning in himself and Kyle knew from experience that it was dangerous ground.

Kylie stormed out of his room and stopped in front of Marc's door. He knocked two times and he was greeted with silence from the other side. Worry and irritation prompted Kyle to open the door. The stench that filled his nostrils made him cover his nose with his arm. His eyes scanned the dark space, going from the empty alcohol bottles spread over the floor, to the barely conscious man laying on the bed.

"Shit!"

Kyle moved fast to his friend. He grabbed him by his shoulders, shaking all his limp body.

"Wake up Marc!"

Marc let out a strangled sound, followed by incoherent words. That was all that Kyle needed to relax a bit. Werewolves could consume litres of alcohol without getting drunk, due to their fast metabolism, but, obviously, Marc had managed to cross that line. He pulled Marc by his shoulders so he could sat on the bed. Soon enough, Kyle saw that it was a stupid idea to even consider the man capable of standing. The moment he left to turn on the shower, Marc fell back into the sheets.

Cursing loudly, he managed to take a sleepy Marc under the cold water. The ice drops worked like magic, waking the man and the wolf within.

"What the fuck? Why did you do that?" Marc yelled, fully awake.

"You need to react Marc, get out of this room and start working on your duties. This pack needs you and I... I need my friend." The last words were said in a whisper. Kyle wasn't the type of man to show weakness, even to his close friends. Regardless his low tone, Marc heard him perfectly well.

His annoyance died in seconds.

"What happened?" He asked, ready to jump into battle mode. If someone had harmed his pack, they would pay.

"I kissed Emily..." Kyle was trying hard to maintain his face neutral, but he was failing all along.

Marc's reaction was one that Kyle wasn't expecting. He started laughing loud.