Chapter 5

"Mom, I won't be home until tomorrow." I say on the phone.

"What do you mean you're not going to be home?" my mom says, although in Tagalog (Filipino language).

"I'm on a date."

"I said no dates with boys!"

Yeah, my parents still don't know that I'm into girls. My parents are cool about the whole gay thing; I mean my brother is also gay. He's away from home now teaching in Japan. It's crazy how they just happened to give life to two gay children, but I'm not complaining. Guys are gross. 

So, my mom and my dad are both Filipino but we just happened to end up with a really white surname. Like Smith, you don't hear that a lot in Asian families. But anyways, I just haven't told them because I just don't feel all that comfortable with telling them things. What if they deny it? I mean what if they can't accept that they have two gay kids? So yeah, like I'm just going to wait until I have a girlfriend, bring her home one day and just introduce her as my girlfriend to them.

"It's a friend... date." I say.

"With who?" My mom says, curious.

"Jennifer."

"Okay... as long as it's with Jennifer."

"I'll see you tomorrow, we're camping, that's all."

"Okay, okay, good night. Be careful, Sam!"

"I will."

I turn around and Alicia is setting up the tent. She looks really good setting it up, with the sun hitting her face like that. Wow, that likes me? She bends down to get some of the rods for the tent and I look at her butt. Okay, Sam no. I decide to distract myself by helping her out. We talk while setting the tent up, first about school, then about friends and suddenly it leads up to a subject about Megan.

"So does Megan know about you?" I ask.

"No, I feel like she wouldn't like that." Alicia says.

"Why not?"

"I just think that it would be weird for her. I mean we have a lot of sleepovers and I've seen her in ways that no one else has."

"Like in what ways?"

Alicia looks up at me. "I've seen her naked and stuff like that. We've even showered together."

"You have?" I say nervously, not able to get the image of them showering together out of my head.

"Are you thinking about it?"

"Just a tiny bit."

Alicia explains to me that Megan has been a little bit homophobic before. She explains that Megan has always spoken up about being against same sex marriage and like disgusted when it comes to the same sex kissing on TV or anything of that sort. This really turned me off about Megan. I never really thought she would've been that kind of person. I just always assumed that she was open-minded but I guess you just never really know. I ask Alicia if she's ever told anyone and she says no. She says that I'm the only who knows. She asks me the same and I say only Jennifer knows. Alicia really is great and I think I'm starting to warm up to her a little.

*

The campground is now dark and the stars are out. Alicia and I are making smores and cooking sausages on the campfire. So far this date has been really good. All we've done is set up camp, eat, talk, eat some more and well, I tripped like a million times. But Alicia's really something. I learned that Alicia is a really outdoorsy person, she really likes animals – especially llamas – and that she used to get really nervous before performances that she would actually puke. She learned that I'm really scared of heights, scared of getting hurt in any way possible, scared of people, scared of basically anything if it can cause me harm. I also told her that I'm pretty narcissistic. She laughed because she thought it was not true at all, but seriously I really do love myself a little too much.

"I had a really great night." I say, searching for Alicia's eyes in the darkness.

"Me too." She says, smiling.

She leans in a little closer to me and I get the message as to what she's trying to do. I lean in closer as well and we kiss. This time I get tingles all up and down my spine and it feels like fireworks are blowing up all in my stomach. I've never felt this feeling before but I think I could get used to it. Alicia's the first person to ever make me feel this way. Let's just say, I think I'm over Megan now. We pull away and we just stare at each other's eyes and we laugh.