Chapter 7

Alicia: Are you sure you're ready to tell them?

Sam: Yeah, I think I'm gonna tell them

Alicia: I'm nervous

Sam: I know me too but you'll be great dw

Remember when I said that I'd come out to my parents when I got a girlfriend. Well today's that day. It's been a month since Alicia and I made it official, to me and her anyways. But still, that's official enough. Alicia and I decided that we would tell them together, to my parents and her parents, at the same time. Now that I'm thinking about it, this doesn't seem to be such a good idea. What if both of our parents get so angry at us? It's going to be in a public place so like that's even worse! Whatever, we already made plans with them so we might as well just tell them.

At school, things aren't all that different between me and Alicia. People don't assume anything. They don't think we're acquainted in any way because Alicia hangs out with her group and I hang out with Jennifer. It's like two completely different worlds. After school though (if we don't have any practices), Alicia or I come over to each other's house. We just do whatever. We watch movies, we listen to music, we make out, etc. We still haven't done that, nasty child. But so far this relationship we have together is going really good.

*

My parents, Alicia's parents, Alicia and I are all seated around a table together at some fancy restaurant I forgot the name of. Alicia and I ordered the steak and we're planning to order dessert and just share it with each other as a sort of celebratory thing after this whole thing is over.

For about twenty minutes waiting for the food, our table was very silent. My parents are whispering to one another in Tagalog while Alicia's parents are just sitting there, not a word coming out of their mouths. The silence was starting to become really awkward but then the food arrives and that's when Alicia and I decide to start warming them up for the news.

"So, we just wanted to say thank you for agreeing to go on this little dinner with us." I say to my parents and to Alicia's parents.

"We just really appreciate it because there really is something we have to tell you." Alicia joins in.

"What is this thing that you have to tell us, Alicia?" says Alicia's dad as he shoves a spoonful of wild rice into his mouth.

"Well um, we'll explain in a second." I say to Alicia's dad.

"So, Sam and I have been friends for a month now and she's honestly one of my best friends." Alicia says.

"And we've gotten so close that we're practically inseparable." I say, chuckling awkwardly to a stop. My parents look at me weirdly.

"What we're trying to say is that we're not just friends." Alicia says, taking my hand.

"We're girlfriends." I say nervously.

Alicia's mom stops cutting her steak and looks up at Alicia. She looks petrified. This can't be good. She probably doesn't want this to true. She's opening her mouth. Oh no, she's going to humiliate us in front of the whole restaurant.

"Oh my god, you've finally reeled one in!" Alicia's mom yells happily.

"I'm happy for you two, Alicia." Alicia's dad says as he takes another bite of his chicken and rice.

"So you're okay with this?" Alicia asks.

"Of course, why wouldn't we be? I'm sure Sam's parents are excited as well." Alicia's mom says.

My parents have stopped eating and are completely frozen. Now they look disappointed. They haven't said a word since before the food arrived.

"Of course, we're happy for you two as well." My mom says in her strong Filipino accent.

"Very happy." My dad says, looking down at his food.

I can tell they're not happy at all. This is not good. This is not good at all. I take it all back. Can we get like a rewind button or something? Oh my god. I don't want to go home now and listen to the lecture that they're probably going to give me. Well... it's too late now. I just have to deal with it. It's better that it's out now and if things get bad, I could always sleep at Alicia's house. I mean they seem to be very happy with everything that just happened right there.

*

The ride back home was really quiet. My parents didn't even look at me. I thought that they'd understand about the whole thing after all they went through with my brother. I guess they just don't want their only daughter to be gay too. At least now one of us will marry a girl into the family. Anyways, when we got home that night we sat down in the living room together.

"So..." I say awkwardly.

"I can't believe it," My mom says. "My only daughter."

"Mom, I'm still your daughter. Nothing's going to change that." I say, looking at her.

"It's just that we always thought that you would marry a man." My dad says as my mom can't speak anymore. She's too choked up on tears.

"Well, that's all on my brother now." I say, my eyes starting to form tears now.

"Look, we love you and we'll always love you. Same with your brother." My dad says.

"So you're not angry?" I ask.

"No not at all. We just want you to be happy. We just wished that you would've told us sooner." My dad says.

I sigh in relief. They were never angry. They were just overwhelmed by the whole idea. They had no idea at all that I was a lesbian. I guess I was just that good at pretending. Apparently before my brother ever came out gay, it was already very evident. At least then my parents were already prepared for the talk with him. But I guess with me, they just never detected anything at all. I'm just really happy that this whole thing played out fine.

*

I talked to Alicia that night and I told her about the conversation that I just had with my parents. I told her that everything was fine and that they were never angry at all. They were just a little shocked because it never occurred to them that I might also be gay. Alicia screamed happily for me and everything is just good between us, between our parents, with everything really. I'm happy. I'm actually happy for the first time in a long time.

Also we did order dessert that night. I was half sad, half happy while eating that beautiful molten lava cake.