Chapter 10

Megan

I feel bad for what I said to Alicia last night. I didn't mean any of it. I just can't have people thinking things. I have a reputation to uphold at school, and what would they think if they found out that I'm just a little bi-curious? What would they think when the whole school finds out about Alicia and Sam? Some people can be horrible. I mean, I guess I was horrible to Alicia too. I should really apologize. Why did I have to be such an asshole to her? Ugh, stupid Megan!

I guess half the reason why I got really angry was because I knew Alicia and Sam were together. I like Sam, in the same way that Alicia probably likes her. The thing is Sam is a little preoccupied with my best friend. I guess what I thought was it's easier this way, for her to think that I'm some homophobic asshole rather than a backstabbing, girlfriend stealing, fake best friend. I'd rather have her think that because I really want Alicia to be happy, even if I may not be. Although, what I said probably really did hurt her and I'm going to grow some hairy lady balls and apologize.

My phone beeps and I check to see a text message from Sam.

Sam: Megan, I know you're lying about last night. About what you said to Alicia.

Megan: what do you mean?

Sam: you told me things so different from what you told her

Megan: like what?

Sam: you said you were happy for us. And you also said that you'd be happy too if you were dating me. What did you mean by that?

Oh shit! Oh shit! She knows. She knows that I like her. Oh god, why are you so honest when you're drunk, Megan? Should I just tell Sam everything? Should I just tell her that I like her? Oh my god, what do I do?

Megan: Can we meet up somewhere? Just us two.

Sam: Okay, when?

Megan: Outside the school in two hours.

This way no one will be around. It's the weekend, who goes to school on the weekend?

*

Well apparently a lot of people go to school on the weekend. I arrived a little early just so I could get ready for what I'm about to tell Sam. I'm just so nervous because this is basically the first time anyone will ever know that I'm bisexual. I'm just so scared that someone else will find out and bad things will happen. When I was dating James, I could see just how he felt about gay people. He wasn't all too happy about it. He's actually been in a few fights just because someone called him gay or he thought someone else was gay. It doesn't matter if you're a girl or boy, he will hurt you in any way he can. That's why I was always scared, that's why I pretended. I guess after all that time, I just got so used to it and I became the person I was pretending to be. Because of that I hurt my best friend.

James wasn't all that bad in 9th grade. He was actually one of the nicest people I ever met that time. He was a perfect gentleman. He held doors open for me, pulled chairs out, I was in love with him. After a while in high school, he got into the wrong crowd and some family problems arose and it created a monster within him. He started drinking a lot, started throwing loads of parties and he projected his anger into bad stuff. Drugs, alcohol and sex one night then drugs, alcohol and sex the next night. He's lucky that the football coach doesn't know a thing about his addiction but sooner or later it's going to get him into loads of trouble. It could be the police finally having enough of his shit, or it could get him killed. Either way, he scares me in every single way. Our relationship became toxic and I've been trying to get out of it for so long. I don't even remember the last time I actually had a good time with him. I basically just became his doll. He beat me, he told me lies and he blamed things on me that I never did. Then the night that Sam and Alicia saved me, I finally got the courage to do something about it. So I broke up with him the next day.