Chapter 13

Sam

Wednesday rolls around and it's been a few days since I've talked to Alicia. I haven't been able to stop thinking about her and I've been feeling a whole lot guiltier than the time I kissed Megan. I just miss her. I just feel like she may be avoiding me. She knows, she definitely knows. If not, I'm telling her today. I've made up my mind.

My phone rings and I pick up almost immediately.

"Babe?" Alicia says.

"Alicia, what's up?" I ask.

"I'm sorry I haven't been around lately. I've just been so busy but I made sure that nothing interrupts today."

"It's okay, just I miss you."

"I miss you too! We'll see each other soon." I can almost hear her smile through the phone.

"Yeah, I'll pick you up soon." I say.

We say our "goodbyes" and "I love yous" and we hang up. So maybe she isn't avoiding me. And maybe she doesn't know a thing either. Now I just feel even guiltier than I was before the call. I really will tell her now.

*

I pick up Alicia from her house and everything seems normal. We talk like normal, we laugh like normal and we flirt like normal. But will it stay normal after I tell her? I don't want to lose what I have with Alicia because of one night of stupidity. Why did I have to do what I did? Whatever, try to enjoy the part of the date that doesn't involve Alicia screaming at you.

Tonight's date probably doesn't top Alicia's first planned date with me, or any of her other dates for that matter. I tried hard though. I decided that it would be a good idea to just drive out to the middle of nowhere, to a field of nothing. A field full of flowers, an empty canvass, great for imagination. It would just be me and her, on a picnic. Then we would watch the stars when it gets dark. We would just lie there, if I even get that far. I hope things go fine.

I didn't really have a specific place in mind; I just thought I'd stop wherever I thought looked best. Then I saw it. This place was full of green grass, few trees and an assortment of different coloured flowers. It was perfect, at least to me it was. When I pull over, Alicia gives me the most confused look. It's as if she's trying to communicate, "Are you crazy?" And of course, I am crazy. Crazy about her anyway, so crazy that I would do anything to keep things the way they are right now.

"What is this place?" Alicia asks me as she gets out of the car, stepping foot on the grass.

"I honestly don't know." I say, laughing.

"Well it's beautiful." Alicia says, taking my hand and running with me into the field.

I smile like nothing is wrong. I hold her hand knowing well that I don't deserve her. I'll tell her when it gets dark.

"So what do you have planned?" She asks me, smiling that beautiful smile.

"Well, it's 6:30 and I'm quite hungry. So how about some dinner?" I say, holding out the picnic basket.

"You made dinner?"

"I did. Nothing special though."

"Well I'm starving so let's eat!" She says, taking the basket from me and running further into the field.

I take the picnic blanket in the back of the car and lock the doors. I prepare the picnic and serve the food.

"So what's for dinner?" Alicia asks, smiling while lying down on her stomach on the picnic blanket.