Chapter 20

Sam – Five years later

Here I am again at the airport. It's been so long since I last went here. I wasn't here to fly or anything, instead I was here to pick people up or drop people off. I've picked up and dropped off family, friends and my girlfriend. Now, here I am again to pick someone up from the airport and have them visit.

I am currently sitting at the baggage claim area. There are children waiting for parents to come home. There are worried wives and husbands waiting for their spouse to come home from the army. There are young lovers waiting for their long distance partners to arrive. They are all here for the same reason; they are waiting for a loved one. I'm here for the same reason.

I've been sat here for about two hours now. It should have only been one hour but the flight got delayed. So for about two hours now, I've been sipping coffee from a paper cup from Tim Horton's. At first the coffee was hot but due to my low tolerance for hot things, I waited for the coffee to get cold. When I tried to drink the coffee before, I burnt my tongue and I swore to myself not to try it hot again.

I check my phone and it reads, "08:00, Saturday, July 17th, 2021". When is she going to get here? I finish my cup of coffee and I get up to throw it out into the trash. As I drop the cup into the trash, people from the arrived flights start to pile into the area. I examine each face with no sign of her. I sit back down on my seat from before and I wait for another few minutes.

I watch the same children from before hugging their parents. I watch the worried wives and husbands kissing, crying and hugging their army wives and husbands. I watch the young lovers hold hands and smile wide from the joy of finally being able to touch their long distance partners. And here I sit, still waiting for my loved one to arrive.

I'm just about to give up waiting when I hear a voice from behind call, "Sam." I turn around to find the source of the voice. And it's her.

"Jennifer!" I get up and I run to Jennifer, hugging her tightly. "I missed you so much!"

"I missed you too!" She hugs me back and after two minutes we finally let go.

"What took you so long?" I ask as we walk to the baggage carousel.

"Let's just say I arrived with a really bad stomach ache." She laughed and immediately after arriving at the carousel, she spotted her suitcase.

"I'll get it for you, don't worry." I approach the suitcase and pick it up with all my strength. It was really heavy but I pretend that it was nothing. "Do you have any more luggage?"

"No, that's all. Thanks." She fixes the backpack on her back and we make our way out of the airport.

"How was the flight?"

"It was good for the first two hours then this guy beside me kept snoring. He was talking in his sleep as well! Then the girl behind me decided to kick my seat every ten minutes when there was a funny scene in her movie. It was not fun."

"Well you're here now. I still can't believe you're studying in Guelph." We arrive at my car and I unlock the doors.

"I know me too. It's so beautiful there. You really have to visit one day." She lifts her backpack and puts it into the trunk of my car.

"How long do you still have?"

"I still have one more year to go. So, if you ever have time to visit Ontario, you really should."