9 - The Fallen

7th day of the Second Month, Love's Moon

11:00pm

Skiesfell

"Theth."

Theth didn't turn around. He sat at the edge of the water in the Fountain Hall, his arms folded as he looked down at his reflection. Numerous shadows were cast across his body, a mixture of starlight and torchlight, the sundust having long since faded into moondust.

He and Raphael had sat in silence for hours but Raphael only now ventured to talk.

"Theth, I—"

"When did you find out I would have to leave?" Theth cut in.

"Not very long ago," Raphael said, edging over so he sat beside him, "Around this time last year. My mother told me, she said I had to be ready for it."

"Why you and not me?" Theth asked, frowning at their reflection.

Raphael shrugged. "I guess everyone figured you might listen to me if I tried to convince you it was the right thing to do, it's not as if you listen to anyone else. And I've spent a lot of time in the world below." He leant forwards to try and see Theth's face. "I can help teach you about it."

"So even you think I should go," Theth muttered, turning his face away.

Raphael looked at him, then looked up towards the sky, watching as shooting stars fell, heading to the star field below the Realm. "Theth, what is there for you here?" he asked.

Theth looked at him.

"You are my dearest friend and The King loves you as his own son... but the majority of this realm despises you, they hate how different you are, and I know you're not going to disagree with me on that." He looked at Theth and Theth just looked back, no surprise, pain or anger showing because of the statement, he was just listening. Raphael looked at their reflections. "You are not Crown Prince, you have no role in the Angelic Realm, you just have your title and the power that comes with it, but you don't do anything with that power. There is nothing here for you. I understand, it's scary to go somewhere you've never gone before, I do understand." Raphael looked at him. "But Theth, what if down there you find the people who accept you, who aren't repulsed by your wings, who don't need you to be an angel's version of perfection? ...Wouldn't you like to try and find them?"

Theth was silent for a moment, then snorted, looking away. "I see why you were told. Convince me indeed, no one else would try and convince me by saying I'm despised."

Raphael smiled slightly, giving a small shrug.

"Do you believe the Dragon Knights thing? I mean, me? Really?"

"I cannot see why The King would lie, or why Lady Fate would give our Goddess false information."

Theth raised an eyebrow at Raphael.

"I mean when it's about something important," Raphael said, "Lady Fate isn't that cruel... at least, I don't think she is. But you're straying from the topic. My point is..." He sighed. "Look, Thee, you're going to go down there, I know you will, because you don't care about staying up here. And I know you really believe The King about being a Dragon Knight because The King told you so, so I don't actually have to convince you anymore."

Theth leant back on his hands. "So?" he pressed, this was clearly leading to something.

"So," Raphael said, taking a deep breath, "Instead I'm going to tell you something I overheard."