53 - Mislaid Mistrust

10th day of the fifth Month, Worth's Moon

11:30pm

The Ice Lily Inn

Kalen took his seat beside Theth as the other two settled into armchairs around the fire in Mrs Julia's office. Staff handed out tea then stood back when Mrs Julia entered, sitting down in the final chair.

"What did you want to talk about, Mrs Julia?" Zedkiel asked as she accepted her own cup of tea.

"Did Theth mention that the girls were leaving?" Mrs Julia asked in return.

"Yes, we saw them depart," Zedkiel replied.

"Did you wish them well?"

"I wished them safe travels," Zedkiel said, already sounding confused.

Mrs Julia looked between them for a moment, then dismissed the staff and sat back in her chair. "You four don't trust the girls, do you?"

"We have our reasons," Theth said, his tone sharper then he had meant it to be.

Mrs Julia held up a hand. "I have no doubt you do," she replied, then looked between each of them and said, "Would you tell me what they are?"

The boys glanced at each other, then Theth straightened up and explained the different events and reasons behind his final conclusion.

At the end, Mrs Julia put her fingers to her forehead, sighing. "I see," she said.

"What does it even matter?" Incendio asked.

Mrs Julia glanced up. "I had intended to not get involved. With two different groups on different journeys, the main goal was just to keep you all in one piece while here."

"What do you mean?" Zedkiel asked.

"Your group and Cascadeia's group. Both of you are being hunted, this inn was supposed to be a safe zone. Do you know how unwilling people are to chase others through The Winter Realm? Is that not why you chose it?"

The others glanced at Kalen who just watched Mrs Julia.

"What are you getting at?" he asked, his voice low.

She put her tea aside and put her hands together, looking at them. "Cascadeia is not your enemy," she said firmly.

The boys looked at her. Theth felt a tension ripple through his body at the words, a chill down his spine. What?

Mrs Julia turned her attention to him. "I understand why you might have come to that conclusion but she is not your enemy. She is not your friend, but she is not your enemy."

"Well then who is she? What about the shadows?" Theth demanded.

"Cascadeia has a lot of power, however they are new to her and controlling them is also new. While she can certainly create things at will, such as what stopped you last night, other things will be created without intention, such as what Zedkiel saw. It can happen to everyone with power, even you boys."

"It hasn't happened to us," Theth muttered.

Mrs Julia smiled at him. "If any of you catch cold and sneeze, just watch to see whether or not a strange fire starts, the ground rumbles, the taps turn on or something is blown over," she said, "then you'll see."

"So if they're not our enemy or friend, who are they?" Zedkiel asked. "Is it intentional that they travel the same route as us?"

"No, that is merely coincidence that you continually cross paths. Honestly, I couldn't tell you exactly who they – or the other members of their party are, but you don't have to be as suspicious as you are."