Chapter 20 - The Border

8th day of the Second Month, Love's Moon

7:00 pm

The Border

They reached the border just after sundown. There was nothing really to show it was there, just the faintest of glowing green lines across the ground. Kalen strode over without concern. Incendio fidgeted at first but followed Theth over when the angel crossed without hesitation. Zedkiel slid from his horse and handed the reins to Redion, stepping across.

Kalen glanced back once the four of them were across, then glanced at Zedkiel before nodding behind him.

Zedkiel looked at him, confused for a moment, then looked over his shoulder to see Redion standing there, gripping the reins tightly, looking at the ground.

"Redion," he said, stepping back across. "You really won't be coming with me?"

"No, M'Lord," he muttered, "No, this is not my journey. I'll be leaving you here." They were silent for a moment, then Redion looked up. "Please be careful," he said, "Of everything..."

Zedkiel watched his advisor as Redion just managed to stop himself looking at Kalen.

"Be wary of subtle dangers, not just the obvious ones."

Zedkiel sighed slightly, then reached forwards and pulled Redion into a hug. Redion's body went so rigid from shock he almost turned into a statue. "I shall be fine, Redion," he said gently, "I promise, I shall watch for the dangers, subtle and obvious." He released Redion - who was still in shock before becoming flushed and flustered - then held his hand out for his bag. Redion quickly unbuckled it, then held up a hand.

"If I might," he said and Zedkiel smiled slightly, before holding out his arms and allowing Redion to fasten the bag into place. He heard Kalen's sigh but ignored it. Once done, Redion stepped back and bowed. "Journey well, M'Lord," he said softly.

"Until journey's end," Zedkiel replied and stepped over the border.

As the prince and his companions headed into the shadows of the forest, Redion stood there, his hands tightening on the reins again, his Pegasus gently nudging his shoulder.

He eventually climbed back onto the saddle, turning the horses away, ready to fly home, but looked back one last time.

"Be safe," he whispered, "... Please."

~~~

"So, what exactly is the plan?" Theth asked some hours later as the group trudged along the side of the road, staying in the shadows.

"Well I assume the first plan would be to find a town with an inn," Kalen said, "Unless you fancy walking all night, and I don't suggest camping in the Fey Realm if it can be avoided, something will likely try to eat you or drag out down into a Fairytown... or worse."

Theth looked at him. "What's worse?"

"I don't know, the traders that strayed from the paths tend not to come back normal, if at all."

"Kalen, stop scaring him," Zedkiel said from the front.

Kalen shrugged and looked at the map Zedkiel had given him. Though he was fine, the others were starting to lag. A werewolf who hadn't had a proper workout in thirteen years, an angel who was used to being able to fly everywhere and an elf who never left his palace, they weren't the fittest company for a trek. They had already passed several of the border villages, but in the next hour they would reach another and Kalen decided it would probably be best to stop there.