69 - Memories in the Moonlight

10th day of the forth Month, Worth's Moon

11:00 pm

Fountain City

"You know, I think I actually hate Cascadeia."

Kalen glared at Theth over the top of his newspaper and promptly ignored him and Theth smacked the paper to make him listen.

"Three hours, Kalen! Three hours I was stuck with that ridiculous fairy as she dragged me around Fountain City, do you have any idea how exhausting that was? All so you could go on a date with your girlfriend and find out that all this secrecy has been a waste of time and energy and she's part of The Firelands and she didn't have the decency to tell us."

"To be fair, she didn't know we were part of The Firelands either," Kalen pointed out. "She had no reason to tell us. If her job is somehow connected to The Dragon Child – someone probably even more endanger then us – why would she mention it?"

"I don't care about that, I just want my three hours back, my ears are still ringing!"

"Go to sleep then!" Kalen snapped and the hotel door opened as Zedkiel and Incendio walked in.

"Are you two fighting again?" Zedkiel asked, closing the door behind them and Theth sat back in his chair as Kalen flicked the paper back into place. Zedkiel took a seat while Incendio set the shopping on the table and Rune crawled up into Theth's lap, curling up and going to sleep – the only dragon to stay with the group and, admittedly, probably for the best considering his age.

Drakon was now asleep on Zedkiel's bed but he'd have to travel with Draco and Farathra after this. He was too big to travel through cities with and he had a habit of trying to eat everything he liked the look of, including a girl's hat.

"Actually, here's a better idea, take your memory potion and then go to sleep," Kalen said, turning the page in his newspaper.

"Why do I have to drink it first? You drink it first?"

"Scared you'll get poisoned?"

"Of course I'm scared I'll get poisoned. You test it, no one will miss you."

Kalen growled at him and Theth stuck his nose in the air.

"Fine," Kalen snapped, tossing the paper aside and rummaging through his bag and Theth stared at him.

"I didn't mean, it, what if it really is poisoned?" Theth said quickly, sitting forwards.

"Then I'll haunt you and have great fun doing it."

"Angels can't be haunted," Theth pointed out.

"Just watch me."

"Aren't you supposed to lie down when you drink that?" Zedkiel asked.

"I'm sure sitting will be fine," Kalen said, pulling out the phial, "Don't bury me right away."

"We'll try," Incendio said with a grin.

Kalen sneered at him then took a sip of the drink. Three things happened at once. The first was he nearly threw up; the potion was as revolting as Coroline had said. The second was a force hit him, invisible and yet so strong he was nearly thrown back over his chair.

The third was he heard voices. Laughter and cheers, which changed to rushes of worry and a man's voice, distant yet screaming 'Run, my love, run!'

Kalen's eyes snapped open and he sagged forwards, gripping the phial in one hand and his head in the other, looking at the floor, trembling as the force slowly seeped out of him, leaving him tired like he just fought and almost lost.