32 - The Burial Clearing

21stday of the third Month, Winners Moon

10:30 am

Dead King Valley, The Burial Clearing

"Zedkiel," Kalen said slowly as the four regrouped, each facing a wall of brides, "What do we do? I've never been good at dealing with girls when they cry and I certainly don't want to raise a hand to one, even if she is going to try and kill me. I'd rather run away."

Zedkiel's eyes were flicking between the fey, watching them. "Fey and elf-light, this feels like being back in Liandol," he muttered to himself, "'Pick a bride, Zedkiel. Hurry now, Zedkiel. You have a hundred to choose from, Zedkiel.' Who knew it would be such a nightmare."

"Zedkiel," Kalen snapped, yanking Zedkiel's attention back to him. "What do we do?"

Zedkiel looked around, then sighed. "They left one exit. We have to go into the clearing."

"Great, and get murdered by dead kings," Incendio said.

"Is your murder preference by bride then?" Theth asked.

Incendio opened his mouth to answer when one of the brides, a blonde – her traditional Ethan Kingdom wedding dress shredding around her neck – grabbed his face, forcing him to look at her, her face that was contorted with fury as she screamed.

"He killed me!" she shrieked, "He killed me! On my wedding night! How dare he steal my innocence and chance for happiness and then kill me! How dare he! I hate him! I hate men! I hate you all!"

Her hands clamped around Incendio's throat and began to squeeze, tears streaming down her face as Incendio's eyes bulged, gagging. She was terrifyingly strong – a strength fuelled by death and revenge. He sank to his knees in a matter of seconds, his lips turning blue, his face paling.

And the next second, one of Theth's wings collided with the bride, knocking her to the side. Incendio collapsed, retching and wheezing, clutching his throat, his whole body shaking. Kalen and Zedkiel stared at the fallen bride as she sat up, tears still streaming down her face, now looking so weak and venerable, you just wanted to hold her tight, not at all like the murderous deviless she had been before. They looked at Theth as he crouched beside Incendio, his uninjured wing already sinking back into his body.

He noticed them looking and looked up. "What?" he asked, "I didn't raise a hand to her. And I'd rather he didn't die."

"Kalen, grab Incendio," Zedkiel said, "We're going to head for the clearing."

"But the kings!"

"Following my path exactly. You must not stray from it," Zedkiel said and ran for the exit, dodging the first bride as she reached for his cloak. Kalen waved for Theth to follow and grabbed Incendio, who still looked dazed, hoisting him over his shoulder and running after the other two.

Following Theth who followed Zedkiel step for step, Zedkiel led them through the clearing, racing across walkways, zigzagging back and forth, aiming for the opposite shore, where the brides did not stand, even as they drifted to the edge of the clearing behind them.

"There! That's our exit!" Zedkiel shouted, pointing to a gap in the trees where the branches bowed overhead, creating an archway.

And it was at that moment that Incendio jolted awake on Kalen's shoulder, panicked and flailing then both shouted as Kalen lost his balance and they plunged off the edge of the walkway. The water was like ice and Kalen threw his head back up through the surface, taking a huge gasp of air, the cold wind piecing down his throat.