65 - Knight's Warning

3rd day of the forth Month, Worth's Moon

2:45 pm

Lockerville Doctor's Practice

"I hope you do not think me rude for asking this, but aren't you supposed to be dead?" Zedkiel asked, frowning at Luther from where he sat up in bed, looking tired but not much worse for wear. The main thing he was concerned about was that his hair was a horrific mess, knotted up at the back of his head and Kalen had yet to give him the brush that was on the other side of the room – and he wasn't allowed out of the bed while the medication continued to work. The tickling of his hair around his neck was setting his nerves on edge and his fingers kept twitching.

"Technically... yes," Luther admitted.

Zedkiel raised an eyebrow at him. "Why are you alive and here?"

"I can't tell you why I'm still alive."

Zedkiel's eyes narrowed and Luther held up a hand.

"Not because I wish to hide it from you. I simply do not know the answer. Water, Air and Earth survived the end of my generation and are aware of each other's survival. Fire has yet to appear again."

"Your Fire Knight is dead, Luther," Cain said from where he stood, leant back against the window, arms folded across his chest. "You need to move on."

"We don't know that, Cain," Luther said, his voice dropping as if to keep the conversation private.

"Then he wishes nothing more to do with you, unsurprisingly. You still need to move on."

A darkness flashed across Luther's eyes then he blinked and it was gone, turning back to the others with calm and composure.

"We have been watching over you for a majority of your journey, keeping those like Dixon at bay."

"And covering for you," Cain said, "Like outside, you four are so casual, seriously, and always caught up in your own issues."

"Cain," Luther snapped, "Stop it, it's not easy for them."

"Well why not? You had no trouble."

"No one was trying to kill me," Luther replied and Cain pursed his lips. "The journey to The Firelands isn't supposed to be this hard, it's not supposed to be hard at all. The biggest trouble we faced was internal fights within the group, that's natural. These boys have The Fury on top of everything else – as well as four dragons that don't stay close or are too young to do anything, I've never heard of such a thing."

The boys glanced at each at that.

"Don't you just hate being special?" Kalen muttered.

"Such fun," Zedkiel replied.

"What about your dragon?" Theth asked from where he sat, Rune curled up in his arms, asleep like a large cat.

"What?" Luther asked.

"Your dragon? You have one don't you? You are a former Knight after all."

Luther looked down. "I had one," he said, "We survived... I can't say the same for our dragons. They vanished when our reign ended. Perhaps they followed tradition and passed away while we didn't."

"Wait so our dragons will die with us?"

"Well they would, but you're the last generation of Knights to ever exist. You four aren't dying."