72 - The Crystal Palace

16th day of the forth Month, Worth's Moon

10:00 am

The Crystal Palace

Theth never did tell the others the full extent of the last memory. In a haphazard distressed jumble, they managed to deduce that that couple he'd been raised by in his early years weren't actually his parents, but his aunt and uncle. The King of the Angelic Realm was in fact his father but for reasons unknown he had not claimed Theth as his real son – taking his 'nephew' on as a 'foster' son.

Incendio thought the whole thing ridiculous and confusing and pointless. The others agreed to a certain extent.

Theth didn't actually tell them; merely that he had seen his real mother. He gave no indication as to her name, her rank, appearance – or species.

And Theth didn't want his wings anymore.

That was what worried the others the most. He didn't want his wings. An angel without his wings... that wasn't even a Fallen Angel.

If they left him alone, they feared he'd do something to them. He even tried to pull the black features out, until Incendio restrained him.

The one time Kalen grew his nails long, just to check on them for fear he'd cracked one after an altercation with a cranky boulder, Theth had watched them so intently Kalen had put Zedkiel between them so Theth couldn't watch him. He knew Theth knew Kalen's nails could cut through the muscle and bone – especially if he angered Kalen enough and for once, Kalen didn't rise to a single jibe Theth threw at him.

Incendio of course could do the same thing, but Theth didn't seem to even consider it.

Other than that, they could only watch him. The reaction was so extreme, so completely in opposition to Kalen's reaction. And it lasted. Days after and he still looked heartbroken and disgusted and terrified.

They could only speculate as to what Theth had seen. It was Kalen who suggested the demon element – once Theth was asleep – but Zedkiel shot the idea down, saying it was impossible. Angels and demons... it just wasn't done.

It was almost a relief to finally break out of the forests and get onto the last stretch of road that led into Danno City, the home of the Crystal Palace.

None of them had ever seen the Palace in real life of course but they had all scene paintings and photos and none did any justice to the pure majesty of the real thing.

It even lifted Theth from his depression when they entered the city.

The building stood atop a hill, in the centre of the city, high above the city-line. The reason it stole viewers' breaths away was that is covered with crystals – hence the name – and, against sunlight, they shone like starlight, gleaming against the sky, visible for miles and miles, it could even be seen from the surrounding cities.

Historically, it had been built as a display of victory when Jiero Kingdom – where they were at that moment – had defeated a neighbouring kingdom in a century long war. The neighbouring kingdom had been famed for jewels and those spoils had been taken and used to build the palace.

Some centuries later, the bad blood between the kingdoms had faded – somewhat – and the palace was now used for the pursuit of knowledge.

One of the greatest libraries in the world, it also housed a prestigious university.

All this however was not something the four boys got to see – even if Zedkiel knew Kalen was itching to take a look around.

Once they walked through the huge glass double doors, the grand entrance hall opened up in front of them, gleaming with golden marble floors, rich mahogany pillars and balconies, numerous arching doors and a grand staircase.