66 - Fountain City

10th day of the forth Month, Worth's Moon

6:50 pm

Fountain City

Half of Zedkiel's drink sprayed out of his mouth in utter shock and Incendio grimaced as he was soaked.

"Oh lovely," he muttered and Zedkiel didn't even notice his horrible excuse for manners as he stared at Kalen.

"Niveus Angelus?" he cried, gaping at Kalen, "The Niveus Angelus! Princess?"

"Apparently, unless there are others?" Kalen said from across the table.

"Do you have any idea who she is?!"

"Princess of the Mask Kingdom."

"She is one of the most powerful princesses in the world," Zedkiel said, "She's not just any old princess. Her home is an infamous war kingdom. They are the height of culture to rival Liandol. They have produced some of the greatest intellects and inventors in history. The ruling family is known across all Ariea in every royal circle."

"I didn't know who she was," Kalen said.

"You're not in royal circles," Zedkiel pointed out.

"Well what about you, Theth, did you know her? I mean, you're up there, is the Angelic Realm all that aware of down here?"

"I knew of her," Theth said, handing Incendio another napkin, "Everyone in the High Chamber was aware of her existence, she's the only daughter after all. I had no idea what she looked like of course, or that she even had the name Cascadeia, but I do know of her."

"What on earth is she doing so far from home?" Zedkiel muttered to himself, looking down at his half-eaten dinner, "She should be in school at the moment, I would have thought – I'm sure the princess was only seventeen."

"The better question," Theth pointed out, making Zedkiel look up, "Where's her mask?"

"What mask?" Incendio asked, finishing drying himself and picking up a playing card.

"The Royal Family of the Masked Kingdom wear masks, all the time," Zedkiel explained, "they're never seen without them, they never show their faces. The fact that she's out here alone, without a mask, without an escort, without anything, it's very odd."

"That mask makes enough sense," Kalen said.

"How so?"

"It's just like you. Your crown tells the world you are an elfin prince, without it, you are an elf. Without her mask, Cascadeia can blend into the crowd as well as you can."

"Which isn't always that well," Incendio added.

Zedkiel frowned at him, then turned his attention back to his tea. "Whatever her reasons, I suggest ending it."

The others looked at him in surprise.

"Perhaps she is not an enemy, perhaps she shares feelings for you, but it will be a wasted endeavour."

"Why's that?" Kalen asked slowly.

"The men who have anything to do with her need to be of equal status. She will only be involved with someone her kingdom would approve of. It's unlikely she will even have a say in who she is involved with. If she does, it will be the same way I have a say, I pick from a list. She can only be with someone in particular."